Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WAAF Information required

Thanks

Default WAAF Information required

[IMG][/IMG]

Hi Guys My name is Simon.My mother in law was a war baby and after many years we have found out her birth mother.
    She was in the WAAF.
    I have received her service record from RAF cranwell and although it shows some information i was hoping to find out where she was stationed.
    it shows Innisworth i presume this is her training. service number 2142841
    Some time later it shows HQFC and also what looks like RDGB which I presume is ADGB.
    I have her service number is there any way i can find any details of her postings ie location?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Not sure how to attach pictures
    Last edited by Simon 5264; 22nd April 2014 at 21:17.

Thanks

Hi Simon
    A few things; Innsworth is in or close to Gloucester and seems to have been used during WW2 as a recruit reception and training centre among other functions. It was probably the first station your lady reported to. If you haven't already worked it out HQFC was Headquarters Fighter Command at Stanmore just N of London. ADGB was Air Defence Great Britain and was HQ for those Sqns,formerly of Fighter Command, retained to defend the UK when a substantial number of Fighter Squadrons were allocated to the newly formed 2nd Tactical Air Force in preparation for the Invasion and Liberation of Europe. Fighter Command was, in effect, disbanded and ceased to exist although ADGB simply took over the Defence Function and ,I think, remained at Stanmore.
    From what you say about your Mother-in Law's birth you must consider the possibly that she was born out of wedlock and her mother would not have been considered as suitable to continue in the WAAF because of the pregnancy(Possibly just as true if she had been married) and would have been discharged on Medical grounds. I don't know how that would have appeared in her Service record.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Dick,
    We know she was discharged on medical grounds. we also know her husband an airman was killed in 1942 this was her reason for joining WAAF.
    She found a friend in a Polish fighter pilot KIA between Dec 1943 And May 29 1944.This is the father of my mother in law.
    From what i can find out i am presuming this would be 3** squadrons. as i cant find any other squadrons. these seam to be based in Northolt.The dates I am interested in are Dec 43 to May 30 1944.

Would she be stationed at a squadrons base? if so how can i find out?

She apparently was hospitalised in may 1944 reason unknown poss shock of her second loved one killed?

Thanks

I know it's a daft question, when (roughly) was your mother-in-law born? May that have something to do with being sent to hospital at the end of May 1944. The discharge note gives it under Kings Regulations 621, then something/11. From this thread on here http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ations-652-(5) reason 11, if that's what it is, seems to come under "at own choice".
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

If your mother in laws natural father was a Polish fighter pilot killed between the dates you quote, try looking at Fighter Command losses and this might narrow your search considerably.

Does your mother in law have her birth certificate and if so, is the father described therein?

If you have traced the mother, presumably you have been able to follow through her own life and (probable) subsequent death? There may be the elements of three families involved here, excluding the Pole. However, there is a comprehensive listing of all Poles who served in the war and hence if you find his name, that can lead you back to his origins.

Colin Cu8mmings

Thanks

The service record shows all the stations/postings she would have had.

Innsworth was the WAAF recruit/basic training centre and depot. As a waitress she was then posted to Fighter Command HQ to work in the mess at Bentley Priory site.

She would have been billeted in the locality.

A paper transfer happened when Fighter Command was split to ADGB but she continued in the same location and job until being transferred to Wroughton Hospital as medically unfit for duty (Reason X - X listed).

Discharge reason is as Alan says but the actual wording is "Free on compassionate grounds".

So you have all the postings and locations.

As to a connection with Polish squadrons - there would have been a constant stream of bods from remote stations attending HQ for conference or meetings but it is more likely that as Northolt is 7 miles or so from Stanmore that the link is social events that the Waafery at Stanmore attended close to Northolt.

Regards
    Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 23rd April 2014 at 06:45.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Guys,
    Many thanks for your input really appreciated.
    On the dates i have Dec 1943 to May 1944 I think only 308 & 317 squadron were based at Northolt.This connection is probably the most likely as i cant find any other Polish squadrons in this area.we know conception had to be December of 43 and we know he died a short time before my mother in laws birth in August of 1944.

I will try find a list of Pilots killed in this time frame based at Northolt and see if i can get down to a short-list.

Thanks

Hi Simon
    It is by no means exhaustive but a quick look in Fighter Command Losses Vol 3 does give 3 names for May '44 for the Sqns that you name.
    21/5/44-308 Sqn, F/Lt Czarnecki, wounded.(probably got back to UK but could have died of wounds later)
    308 Sqn, F/lt Kurowski, Kia in France and buried at Abbeville
    28/5/44-317 Sqn, F/Lt Pentz, became POW
    In Jefford's " RAF Squadrons" he gives 302.303.306,308,315,316 and 317 as having spent time at Northolt but the dates are not mentioned.I think all of them were Polish Sqns but the 3** series also included Czech,Norwegian,French, Dutch and Greek Sqns and some of them were Bomber Sqns
    Not much but hope it helps
    Regard
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 23rd April 2014 at 21:40.

Thanks

Hi Dick,
    I came up with the same names with addition of F/lt Adamek special interest is F/lt Kurowski We know he was Polish. I am pretty sure i would not have enough information to be 100% certain. I am as sure as I can be that Northolt was the base.there is also reference to a Social life at "The Orchard" In Ruislip where weekly dances were held. Not sure how far i can go with this now.I may have to dig a little deeper.Maybe records from RAF wroughton Hospital to see what treatment was given.
    Many thanks for your input.

Thanks

Hi Simon
    If you haven't seen it already Fighter Command Losses Vol 3 has a photo of Kurowski.
    Regards
    Dick