Thread: P/O Alner George Newton, 06/06/39

Thanks

Default P/O Alner George Newton, 06/06/39

Hi,
    Have come up against a brick wall in searching for specific details on this 61sqdn airman, killed in a flying accident on 06/06/39. I have everything on the accident, i have his parents names, but i cannot for the life of me find birth/burial details for him in GRO UK or Scotland. Can anyone help please.
    tia......Alan.

Thanks

Hi,
    I have P/O A.G Newton and R.G Thomas (no rank) on my files as being killed when Hampden L4107 crashed off Tentsmuir Ranges. Location is off the coast next to RAF Leuchars therefore their deaths should be registered in that area assuming they were both recovered. Being a pre war crash I have no burial details on file and they are definately not in the Leuchars cemetery.

Alan.

Thanks

Hi Alan,
    Thanks for the reply. I have all the details on the accident, from the ORB, also have the death registration for Newton and Thomas, which impies by the date, 29th Aug, that their bodies were recovered at a later date. Nothing registered for the 3rd crewman, Sgt G.H. Fawcett, so assume he was not found. The other problem being that they are outside the CWGC limits, so will not show on their list.
    Alan.

Thanks

Default A G Newton

Hi Alan W- I would be very interested in obtaining the details from you of his parents and of the crash along with any other details of his RAF career.I have tried to trace a photograph of A.G.Newton.On 18.9.1938 he baled out of a No.61 Squadron Blenheim K7163 very near to where I live,the crash was near Beamish,County Durham.The other 2 aircrew were sadly killed.I have already pinpointed the crash site.For the Hampden crash I have the brief details from the AHB.I do have an e-mail address.

Regards,Philip
    founder member of the 55 Aircraft Accidents Research Group

Thanks

Hi Philip.
    His parents were, Albert George Newton (Lift Attendant) and Eva Newton. There's no address yet, still trying to find birthplace details. I can send copies of death register for Newton and Thomas if needed, it looks as though their bodies were recovered some time later, as they were both registered on 29th Aug 39, there is no registration for Fawcett, so i'm assuming his body was possibly not recovered. Crash site was in the estuary of the River Tay, oppostie Tentsmuir, approx 09.30am.
    Alan

Thanks

Hi Alan,
    i have just come across your post through a google search. Alner George Newton is buried in St Gregory's churchyard, Seaton, Devon
    i have just posted his details on www.findagrave.com
    The gravestone says he was born in South Africa which is probably why you can't find a record of his birth.

i have not idea why he is buried in Seaton

Hope this helps

Let me know if you need any more assistance

Lawrie

Thanks

"Aged 26, Pilot Officer Newton was the older son Mr. and Mrs. George Newton, of Springs. Transvaal, South Africa, and a grandson of the late Mr. Edwin Newton and of Mrs. Newton, Bench House, Seaton." which explains why he buried there

he is also on my list of pre war caterpillar members

Thanks

Thanks very much for that explanation

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Hi,
    Have come up against a brick wall in searching for specific details on this 61sqdn airman, killed in a flying accident on 06/06/39. I have everything on the accident, i have his parents names, but i cannot for the life of me find birth/burial details for him in GRO UK or Scotland. Can anyone help please.
    tia......Alan.