Thread: London Gazette RAF service number query

Thanks

Default London Gazette RAF service number query

Hi

I am hoping someone can clear this up for me. I found in the London Gazette this entry for the promotion to warrant officer of my uncle

572611 John Hewson THOMAS (56656). 18th Feb. 1945.

Awesome to have found it but I am confused about the numbers, Is 572611 or 56656 his RAF service number? Was 56656 his old one as Sgt and 572611 his new on as WO? I would like to know because then I can apply for his service records.

Cheers
    Rob

Thanks

Rob, Hi,

572611 would have been his Enlisted number, and as a Warrant Officer. He Enlisted as an Aircraft Apprentice some time after Jan 1926. 56656 was his new number as a Commissioned Officer.

HTH

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter

Thank you for your reply. I am little confused, you say 572611 was his enlisted number and that as a warrant officer, 56656 his commissioned officer number. He never got further than WO I thought but maybe I have read the gazette wrong, its says:-

As Plt. Offs. on prob. (emergency):
    Wt. Ofis.
    572611 John Hewson THOMAS (56656). 18th
    Feb. 1945.

Excuse me for being dim lol did he make pilot officer?

When I apply to MOD for service record would I be right I should quote 572611?

Cheers
    Rob

Thanks

He made it to Flying Officer rank.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4573

Quote both numbers

OR - 572611 then Commissioned - 56656

There will be two different record cards for him.

It was quite normal for ex Warrant Officers to become Flying Officers on or shortly after commission to recognise their previous service. The first gazette entry you have quoted is his commission date (not appointment to warrant) and is when is 6 month probationary period as Pilot Officer started.

Regards
    Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 27th April 2014 at 12:42.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Rob, Hi,
    On 17 Feb 45 yr man was 572611 Warrant Officer J H Thomas. On 18 Feb 45 if the LG says he becomes 56656 Plt Off (on Probation, and Emergency) J H Thomas then it was/is so! His Service Record will start with him as an Enlisted Airman (572611). It will finish with him as 56656 Plt Off (or any further rank advancement that may have occurred). I would think that if you use either number then Disclosures will find the right Record. BTW the last time I applied for a Service Record (non-NoK) they said that the delay was likely to be of the order of 22 weeks!! The Record actually dropped on the mat in 6 weeks!! I suspect that Disclosures parcel the requests to the storage/retrieval company up into 'chunks' of the same sort/age/near-numbers and I just got lucky!!

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 27th April 2014 at 12:45.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I never realised he made PO, he married in early 45 and we have that picture which shows him as WO. I must admit I assumed that was it :) Ouch 22 weeks! I hope they don't take that long lol. I suppose its all on paper still and has to be found that way deep from some vault. I will make my application this weeks and see how it goes, in the meantime I will keep looking into him online :)

Many thanks for your help, its much appreciated.
    Rob

Thanks

Thanks Ross thats much appreciated, I didn't know there would be a second entry to confirm it and have downloaded. I will quote both numbers when apply this week.

Cheers
    Rob