Thread: Where is Map Reference W.341885 ? WO James Horne - Lancaster LL904 crash site

Thanks

Default Where is Map Reference W.341885 ? WO James Horne - Lancaster LL904 crash site

Hi all,

I have received a "Casualty Enquiry & Investigation Report" and a "No. 4 M.R.E.U. Investigation Report" that both state Lancaster LL904 PG-S (619 Squadron) crashed near Oppenau Germany Map Reference W.314885. Would any of you know what this is a reference to. I have previously been referred to Lierbach near Oppenau (about 3km NW) as the crash site, but this map reference intrigues me.

Thanks,

Kenny Horne
    Edmonton, Canada
    Last edited by Kenny Horne; 28th April 2014 at 05:06. Reason: typo

Thanks

Kenny

I believe the co-ordinates you want are: Latitude : 48 29' 45'' N / Longitude : 8 09' 44'' E.

The reference relates to the British Modified System using the Nord de Guerre map (I am in a bit of hurry now but can explain in more detail later).

If you want to investigate further please visit http://www.echodelta.net/mbs/eng-overview.php.

If you use the conversion facility on this site you need to add another W in front of the number you have (ie ww314885) and note the information regarding the accuracy of the location

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hi Kenny,

A little question re. the Casualty Enquiry & Investigation Report and No. 4 M.R.E.U. Investigation Report of the loss of LL904; do these reports give the cause of loss & also a time of the crash?

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Thank you Pete,

This puts the crash site due north, about 3km, of Oppenau, a bit east of where I had previously believed.

Cheers,
    Kenny

Thanks

Hi Theo,

The CE&IR reports the time as "02:00 hours (approximately)." The No. 4 MREU states neither. I am on the road today, returning from a wonderful long weekend visit to the Bomber Command Museum of Canada in Nanton, Alberta.
    http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/ph...2014rcaf1b.pdf
    I do not have all my documents with me, however most seem to refer to German documents that suggest that LL904 was destroyed by night fighter attack (Martin Becker - me110) at 01:30-01:40. I do have one document that suggests that they may have been victim of a collision. I will have to look at that one again for clarification. Their bomb load of 2100x4lb incendiary bombs produced the imaginable results of a violent, burnt, and scattered crash site.
    I can get back to you later tonight with more if you would like.

Thanks for the interest and help,

Kenny

Thanks

Hi Kenny,

Cheers for that -I would indeed like you to get in touch with me re. this matter, you can PM or mail me, I have detailed info on the 'Tino' Becker claims which do indeed seem to fit.

Cheers, Theo