Thread: 1321710 F/S R.G.Taylor

Thanks

Default 1321710 F/S R.G.Taylor

Hello there!
    I have no RAF experience myself, so please forgive incorrect terminology etc. As part of a family history project in concert with another relative, am researching 98 Squadron, the crash of the Mitchell FW-211'Y' on 25th September 1944, and the fate of Flt. Sgt. R.G.Taylor. In 2003, my relative received a letter from the Air Historical Branch at RAF Bentley Priory stating that this aircraft "…was shot down by enemy fighters over Arnhem, Netherlands with the loss of all crew", with that crew including "…1321710 F/Sgt R G Taylor - Wireless Operator / Air Gunner". This does not fit with the stones at Jonkerbos Cemetery, which have the graves of the other three crew members next to each other, with no stone for F/S R.G.Taylor. It also doesn't fit with AIR 20/2336/10 or WO 392/18, which have 1321710 F/S R.G.Taylor as POW 52951, with no camp details. Dispersals issue 100 had F/S R.G.Taylor in Stalag Luft VI Heydekrug, but this turned out to be a transcription error. RAF Bentley Priory also stated in the letter that "…their names are inscribed in the RAF Book of Remembrance in St Clement Danes Church…". Contacting St. Clement Danes, they have a Robert George Taylor, with no service number or rank. This is probably not him, but instead 1462395 Sgt. Flt. Engr. Robert George Taylor of 9 Squadron, in a Lancaster which crashed 23rd November 1943.

In search of a way to proceed now. Have to tell you that the crew member that i'm related to is one of those who died in the crash, and that i don't know what the initials 'R.G.' stand for. Any guidance greatfully received.

Thanks

R.G. is Ronald George Taylor according to the index card in AIR 78/155 available for free download from The National Archives web site.

His PoW liberation form held at the same source could possibly give some more details on the loss and captivity.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

This topic discusses the losses on 25 Sep 44: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ll-losses-1944
    Also the book 2nd TAF by Christopher Shores lists Taylor as a POW. I googled Flt Sgt R.G. Taylor 98 Sqn with some success. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Thank you sir. This information was all right on the money, with WO 344/313/2 being a goldmine of information: Date of Birth, Date of Enlistment, Trade, Home Address, Date of Capture, Camps (six in seven months!), Medical information, Training for Capture/Escape/Evasion. If you want something looking up in person at Kew, then please say.

Thanks

Thank you sir. The book serves to broaden the picture of our research, setting the specifics in context. I am indebted. Same Kew offer to you.

Thanks

Hello again!
    Re: the two 98 Sqn Mitchells downed on 25th September 1944, page 304 of 2nd TAF by Christopher Shores says that "…([Maj Wolfgang] Spate's gun camera film of this attack is currently held in the archives of the Imperial War Museum in London)." The curator of IWM's film archive is asking for the film's reference number to help him identify the footage. Is this a route anyone's been down before…? Any help appreciated.