Thread: London Gazette results help

Thanks

Default London Gazette results help

Hi all

I found a post earlier that made searching the London Gazette website a lot easier so I thought I'd give it another go.
    It returned results for my Grandfather. Brilliant ! In the absence of having my Grandfathers Service File I only have the details from London Gazette. Please can someone help and hopefully confirm I am reading the results correctly?

Publication Date 8/12/1942. Issue 35813. Page 5340. 20th October 1942. Ldg Acm. 916446. N.A.Quick 130698.

Publication Date 25/5/1943. Issue 36030. Page 2368. 20th April 1943. Plt Off---->Flg Off (War Subs)on page 2366.

Publication Date 7/11/1944. Issue 36787. Page 5145. 20th October 1944. Flg Off---->Flt L/T, (War Subs)on page 5144.

Was 916446 his first number when he enlisted as Ldg Acm? I think that could be Leading Aircraft man.
    Somewhere he became a Pilot Officer before becoming a Flying Officer in April 1943. 18 months later he became a Flight Lieutenant. Were the files only updated every 6 months such as April and October?

I have his Flying Logs so know June to Nov 1943 he was a Navigator on Halifax with 102 Squadron and Nov 1944 to May 1945 he was a Navigator on Lancaster with 150 Squadron.

Thank you
    Sam

Thanks

Sam, Hi,

Yr Grandfather Enlisted (916446) at Uxbridge some time after Sep 39. He would have been an Aircraftman Class 2 (AC2). After Basic Training ('square bashing', etc, etc,) he went for flying training - his Service Record will show where/when this took place. At some stage he will have become an Aircraftman Class 1 (AC1) and, having successfully completed his training, a Leading Aircraftman (LAC). He was Commissioned into the General Duties Branch of the RAFVR on 20 Oct 42 with the new Officer's number of (130698). It was often the case that any Advancements, or Promotions, were linked to the original Commissioning date and occurred after a number of months, or years, after that date.

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks very much Peter

Where did you find all that information? Is there a website I can access? Are there any photographs available?
    I've had to order my Grandfathers Death Certificate from the government as the original was mislaid. That should arrive in the next few days. When I have that I can request his Service Record from RAF Disclosures at Cranwell.
    Once I have that I can see exact dates, tasks and locations etc.
    If you, or you know anyone, have specific knowledge of 102 or 150 Squadrons, Halifax or Lancasters please let me know.
    Thanks very much
    Sam

Thanks

Sam,
    All this info (and more) is derived from/by experts in the various fields on this Forum. In addition there are a number of BMD sites (some free and some subscription) from which family data can be extracted. You might consider joining Malcolm Barrass’ RAFWEB site (http://www.rafweb.org/Menu%20Quick.htm) it contains a vast amount of factual data in one place. There still appears to be a 102 Sqn Association web-site at (http://www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk/index.html)
    The 150 Sqn Association appears to be defunct, but if you google it you will see that the 151 Sqn Association is looking for information. There will be a large amount of acronyms and RAF Admin ‘shorthand’ in the Service Record when you get it. You only have to ask on this Forum what they mean!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter

Im open to any and all help from just about anyone. I have contacted Malcolm Barass who put an appeal in the help wanted section on his website - ref 1161.
    Ive emailed, text and called the contacts on the 102 Squadron Association website with no answer. I hope they haven't disbanded.
    Thankyou for your email too.
    Sam