Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Historical research on wooden bombs

Pierre A Courouble Guest

Default Historical research on wooden bombs

Hello, i'm french and I am currently carrying out historical research on an astonishing tale from World War II: the dropping of bombs by the Allies on dummy German airfields or on wooden dummy installations at authentic airfields. These tales can be found everywhere in France, Belgium, German, North Africa, Holland and Finland, etc. They are not rumours and some have been checked out and ruled genuine by reliable witnesses. Photographic proof exists and some of these bombs can even be found in museums (as in Sainte-Mère l'Eglise). My research has shown that these facts concerned fighter-bombers and were not part of operations planned by military hierarchy, so they can only be initiatives taken by individual pilots with or without permission from the Squadron leader. I am therefore looking for evidence from veterans or someone close who could contribute, whether a pilot, an armourer or just RAF or USAF ground crew. All contributions or evidence will be welcome. Thank you in advance for your help.

Pierre A. Courouble
    Mail : mermoz07@free.fr
    Phone : 0033630353220
    Last edited by Pierre A Courouble; 3rd May 2008 at 19:03.

Thanks

Default Research -Wooden bombs

I suggested that Pierre post this query on rafcommands.
    I'm hoping that there is someone who has experience of this subject and can contribute any information?

Thank you
    Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 3rd May 2008 at 21:24.

Thanks

Hi Pierre, welcome to the forum. I can't answer your question as I have no knowledge of them, but have you tried Googling 'Wooden bombs'? I've just had a number of hits, but you might like to look at this one:

http://airminded.org/2005/11/01/levity-through-airpower/

Brian

Thanks

Pierre,

I wouldn't have thought that there was anything astonishing about the dropping of bombs on dummy targets (a common practice in warfare past and present in an attempt to deceive the enemy), but I wonder if you actually meant the dropping of dummy bombs on dummy targets, which I think may have happen on occasion? I seem to recall reading somewhere also of an instance where spikes were dropped onto an enemy airfield in North Africa, only for them to be gathered up and dropped back onto the the airfield from whence they came.

Errol

Pierre A Courouble Guest

I did it. Thank's
    I have many informations about this now, but i'm looking for a veteran's testimony.
    Regards
    Pierre

Pierre A Courouble Guest

I heard about this anecdote in North Africa. But I do not know what book is talking about? If you find the name of the book? Regards Pierre

Thanks

I hope you do find veterans to interview but just one question. Unless they found out after the war, how would the veterans know when and where they attacked dummy fields/sites? I'm sure they wouldn't have knowingly attacked dummy installations and wasted ordnance during the war, and how often were pilots given intelligence debriefs days after an attack, and told that their attacks were a waste of time?

I'm sure it is quite possible to reconstruct the history of such attacks after the war, but veterans who are aware of such attacks (even if they had their suspicions about what they attacked) are going to be harder to find

A

EDIT: Sorry Pierre, having just re-read you post, I am a tad confused. Are you looking for veterans stories of attacks on German dummy sites (what the allies called dummy or 'Q' sites)? Or specific information on Wooden Bombs, and their use against such sites?
    Last edited by Amrit; 4th May 2008 at 07:45.

Thanks

Default Wooden bombs etc

Brian & Pierre
    Brian :an interesting website .I used to listen avidly to The Air Adventures of Biggles " being read on the radio, then called a wireless, when I was a young girl in Sydney in the mid 1950s.

A friend has told me that she read of bridges, which had been bombed by the Allies in Italy, being painted by the Germans to resemble bomb craters, after they had been repaired, so, hopefully they wouldn't be bombed again.A clever idea !

Anne

Thanks

hello Pierre,

After having failed to find actual archives in France about the alleged story of wooden bombs, I see that you arrive here to ask other people to carry on the research for you.

I've already given you all the reference of files in The National Archives, Kew, for you to check all the fighter-bombers' Squadron Operations Record Books of units who may have been possibly responsible for such a dummy attack on Salon-de-Provence airfield, but you never did anything with it.

The pictures you posted on "aeroforum" were of US practice smoke bombs, the label in the Museum in Ste Mere Eglise is wrong. Several people who don't know each others have all replied you the same informations, but you still stick to your theory.

For those who are interested, I can provide more that 60 (sixty) pages of a word document copied and pasted about this topic from French "aeroforum" discussion board. But still no tangible proof offered by Pierre Courouble other than one eye witness statement and rumours.

Joss

Thanks

Hello all,

I've researched all bombing missions on targets is NW Holland, including the dummy sites. I didn't find any proof in the ORB's or other related documents of the use of wooden bombs.

Even when the dummies were clearly identified by Mosquitoes of for instance 418 and 605 Squadron, they crews only reported the methods of the illumination of those decoys and then proceeded to the real airfield.

The story of the wooden bombs circulates here too, always somebody who knew somebody else who's father witnessed the whole event. Frankly, the story is too good to be true and I would have loved to see or find that there's any proof, but so far it's just not more than a tale...

Best regards,
    Hans Nauta