Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for RAAF 642 Squadron pictures

Thanks

Default Looking for RAAF 642 Squadron pictures

Hi all

I am looking for pictures of these Halifax BII bombers form RAAF 462 squadron between 1942-4

BB321 S
    BB333 J
    BB386
    BB418
    BB424
    BB430
    W1169 S Ė I have one picture of this aircraft but rear end only.

My Uncle Sgt. John H Thomas flew on all these aircraft as flight engineer and would love any pictures of them. Also if anyone knows anything on my uncle I would love to hear.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    Rob

Thanks

Hi Rob,

There is a very good history of 462 Sqn 'To see the dawn again' by Mark Lax & Leon Kane-Maguire. You might be able to get it, if you have not got it already. Do you know who your uncle's skipper was? THere may be something in the history under his name.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hello,

l have already directed Rob to the No.462 Sqn RAAF ORB:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...t-Code-letters

Ironically, the name of Sgt Thomas' pilot was: 123947 F/O (later F/L) Robert Hilary Vivian THOMAS RAFVR (see p.85 of "To See the Dawn Again".)

Rob, For completeness, your Uncle's name (and photograph) should be recorded here:

http://www.halifaxlv827.co.uk/all%20crew%20T.htm

Drop them a line.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 4th May 2014 at 00:04.

Thanks

Hi John

I tried to get a copy 462 Sqn 'To see the dawn again' but alas all I got was unavailable in print and a bogus site that claimed I could download it. I did manage to get a copy Jon Lake's Halifax squadrons of world war 2 that was good and gave me a lot of good data and a colour plate of W1169 my uncles plane, it led me to 462 sqn.

Cheers
    Rob

Thanks

Hi Col

Your pointing me to ORBs in the Australian archives was awesome and gave me more data on Uncle John, also some data on W1169 his aircraft. Since posting this question I found a group on facebook called friends of 466/462 squadrons, i found some pictures of John there posted by a relative of RHV Thomas. I am still trying to find images of his aircraft if they exist.

Yes John should be recorded there, I agree. Far too long he has been forgotten, something I intend to rectify.

Cheers
    Rob

Thanks

Hi Bob,

You will find a rather nondescript photograph of No.462 Sqn RAAF Halifax II W1169 "S" in this book:

Handley Page Halifax: From Hell to Victory and Beyond.
    Merrick,K.A.
    Hersham:Classic,2009.
    p.71

The photo has the following caption:

With the guns removed and the entire front turret sealed with doped canvas, W1169: S of 462 Squadron lands amidst its own personal dust storm and gives a better idea of the problems encountered when operating Merlin engines under such harsh conditions. One of the original 76 Squadron detachment aircraft*, it had completed 50 operations by September 1943 and was struck off charge along with a number of other older Halifaxes when the squadron was re-formed as 614 Squadron in March 1944. (Source: J.Stanley)

* No.76 Sqn Halifax B.II W1169 "MP-S", was flown out to the Middle East on 10 July 1942 by the following crew:

Airborne 03.59 hours.

Pilot: F/Sgt H C Granger
    Obs. Sgt C P Harrold
    W/Op. Sgt W H Mennell
    MUG Sgt G P Carrell
    Engr. Sgt H W Gorton
    RG. F/Sgt L F T Noakes
    Fitter Cpl Culkin
    Fitter Cpl Heavens
    Instr. Cpl Fox

See:
    To See The Dawn Breaking:76 Squadron Operations.
    Chorley,W R.
    Ottery St. Mary:Author,1981
    p.247

Sorry, No scanner. Others might be able to help.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 4th May 2014 at 11:19.

Thanks

Hi Col

Thanks you for your reply. I have searched online for the books you mentioned and unavailable so far, I will get my misses to ask in the library for me they may be able to get them. Where I live is in old bomber command territory in East Yorkshire so maybe the books may be here somewhere.

I like the inscription off the picture in the book, my uncle flew W1169 S on her last and 50th sortie. Its possible he may even have been on her in the picture. W1169 did well indeed and was on 462ís first op on 7th Sept 42. Your info confirms what I suspected that she had been with 76 sqn prior to 462, I am still wondering if my uncle also came over from 76.

I have emailed halifaxlv827.co.uk and given them Johnís data and picture, he can now rejoin some of his crewmates at 462 Sqn.

Have you been to https://www.facebook.com/groups/349414338442678/ itís the home of the friends of 466/462 squadrons and has lots of pictures and data. I found pictures of John and W1169 S there posted by the son of RHV Thomas and also a picture of the crashed BB430 that John was on at the time.

Cheers
    Rob

Thanks

Good news, I have been able to reserve a copy of Handley Page Halifax: From Hell to Victory and Beyond from our local library. No luck on the other books See The Dawn Breaking: 76 Squadron Operations and 462 Sqn 'To see the dawn again' by Mark Lax & Leon Kane-Maguire suggested by John.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Welshbob View Post
    ......other books See The Dawn Breaking: 76 Squadron Operations and 462 Sqn 'To see the dawn again' ......
    G'day Bob,
    Have you tried ABEbooks or other similar book search/sale websites?

A couple of random searches, brought up these items:
    See The Dawn Breaking: 76 Squadron Operations
    http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...+dawn+breaking

462 Sqn 'To see the dawn again'
    http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...the+dawn+again

The last book was recently on eBay-Australia, but unfortunately I wasn't able to register here quickly enough to be able to tell you before the auction ended. So if you're patient, the books do appear now and again.

Good luck,
    ...geoff

Thanks

Hi Geoff

Yes I looked the abebooks and ebay but the prices were so high, I'd like to read the books but I am on a limited budget and already bought one book full price. I was hoping to find a bargain copy but no such luck :( I am hoping our library might be able to get them, the wife is looking into that for me as she know the library people well.

Cheers
    Rob