Thread: Ground Wireless Operator Service Record Abbreviations

Thanks

Default Ground Wireless Operator Service Record Abbreviations

I am looking for some help interpreting the service record of a ground wireless operator who enlisted in 1925.

On 7 May 1925 he enlisted unit shown as 'T Dep Sq' which I assume is initial training at a Training Depot Squadron. Is this correct and can anyone tell me where this is likely to have been?

On 29 July 1925 he was transferred to 'E&WS'. I guess that this for wireless operating training. What is 'E&WS' and where would it have been?

On 14 Jan 1927 he was transferred to 'M Dep Sq'. What is 'M Dep Sq' and where would it have been?

On 19 Jan 1927 he was transferred to '1 SD (a)' and on 14 Jan 1928 back to 'M Dep Sq'. What is '1 SD (a)' and where would it have been?

On 23 Feb 1928 he was posted to Iraq.

Thank you.

Thanks

drailton, Hi,
    I cannot, I'm afraid, answer your query. But I think it should be known that W/T ops had their own shortened form of passing info long before texting/tweeting was invented! It was the Q-Code. My own efforts, in the early 50's, at sending the El Adem AERO/TAF message to Malta/Cyprus by W/T in the middle of a night-shift when the Op was "resting his eyes" usually resulted in the reply "QSD"!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 3rd May 2014 at 16:00.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello

E&WS stand for Electrical & Wireless School.

"RAF Flying Training and support units since 1912" is your friend...

E&WS was formed at Eastleigh on April Fools' day 1919 but disbanded in 1920. Then there was (No. 1) Electrical & Wireless School, formed 23 December 1919 as Electrical & Wireless School in No. 7 Group at Flowerdown to train personnel in the new technique of wireless transmission. moved to Cranwell in 1929. Was numbered in 1938 and redesignated No. 1 Signals School in August 1940.

In this context, SD could stand for Stores Depot.

No. 1 Stores Depot was reformed on 1st March 1920 at Kidbrooke, London SE3, redesignated No. 1 ED in February 1937.

Joss

Thanks

I believe 'T' and 'M' Sqns were parts of the RAF Depot at Uxbridge.

Malcolm