Thread: What does "2 SFC" mean?

Thanks

Default What does "2 SFC" mean?

I'm trying to gather information on two RCAF pilots who were referred to, and used, the same service number (J88934) through the autumn of 1944 until sometime in May or June 1945 when one of the pilots, who was stationed in England, repatriated to Canada. Online, I have found scant reference to the pilot whom most probably retained service number J88934 all along. Below I have pasted one of the online references to F/O E. A. Charboneau J88934 (one "n" may be the correct spelling).

My question is:
    In the data pasted below, what does "2 SFC" mean?

========================
    8 Radio Detachment - Sea Island, BC.
    1945 - Daily Diary - National Archives of Canada
    http://67.69.104.76:84/Pinetreeline/...il/rds8-4.html
    DAILY DIARY
    8 RADIO DETACHMENT - Sea Island, BC.
    January 1,1945 to September 28, 1945.
    9 Aug 45
    Weather: 10/10 cloud, visibility 5 miles, clearing later.
    F/O EA Charbonneau (CAN J88934) and F/O KV Aro (CAN J38257) on familiarization visit from 2 SFC.
    =========================

Thanks

School of Flying Control, "i think"
    Last edited by AlanW; 5th May 2014 at 17:52.

Thanks

Canada Gazette only has one name associated with J88934 but two mentions

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...da&interval=20

Unlikely to be a misprint twice without correction.

Try the other name you have to see what service number is linked.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Alan,
    I think you may be correct about SFC meaning "School of Flying Control"; although "School of Fighter Control" gets quite a few hits online.

Ross,
    There was a family story of the overseas pilot who had two numbers. At first I thought it was simply a case of his other-ranks R number and his commissioned J number. But family members were adamant so we got the pilot's service records and went from there. Sure enough, from the time he was commissioned, including all entries in his Squadron ORB, he had the wrong number. Then I stumbled onto the online reference to other J89934 which started me digging a bit more. I'm not sure if we'll go to the extent of getting (J88934) Charboneau's service records but it would be good to know what he was doing at 2 SFC.

Thanks

School of Fighter Control is a post-war unit so in WW2 it was School of Flying Control

Malcolm

Thanks

Malcolm
    I went online to the "8 Radio Detachment" pages (Dec.1942-Sept.1945) starting with http://67.69.104.76:84/Pinetreeline/...il/rds8-1.html and searched for School of Flying Control, School of Fighter Control, and SFC.
    There were no references to School of Flying Control, 25 references to School of Fighter Control (first reference on 16 Dec 1942), and 12 references to SFC (first reference on 19 May 1945).
    ========================
    16 Dec 42
    Weather: Weather overcast with light rain until noon. Fog during afternoon and evening with visibility and ceiling near zero. Five new RDF operators posted to this Detachment from School of Fighter Control at Ottawa; reporting today.
    19 May 45
    Weather: Ceiling 7000', visibility 15 miles. Dawn Patrols by Readiness Section of 135(F) Sqn. F/L JA Mainil gave lecture on GCI at #2 SFC. F/L Good, Station Signals Officer on Unit in connection with setting up of VHF. Dusk Patrols by Readiness Section of 135(F) Sqn.
    18 Jun 45
    Weather: Ceiling and visibility unlimited. No Dawn or Dusk Patrol. Passed plots on sections of fighters to #2 School of Fighter Control for interceptions carried out by them.
    10 Aug 45
    Weather: Ceiling and visibility unlimited. F/L TD Sproule(J15864) and Mr Milchie, WM of Department of Transport on familiarization visit from 2 SFC.

Thanks

School of Flying Control formed 15 Dec 1941 at Watchfield, moving to Bridgenorth on 15 November 1942 and back to Watchfield on 14 Nov 1943, redesignated School of Air Traffic Control on 1 Nov 1946.

School of Fighter Control formed 9 Sep 1957 at Hope Cove, moving to Sopley on 31 Oct 1958 and ceased to operate after 1960. It reformed on 1 Oct 1968 at Bawdsey, moving to West Drayton on 31 Oct 1974 and then Boulmer on 1 May 1990, where it still operates.

However, I now realise you are talking about Canada not the UK, in which case it certainly sounds more likely to be 2 School of Fighter Control in this case.

Malcolm
    Last edited by malcolm_raf; 6th May 2014 at 18:12. Reason: re-read the original query

Thanks

Malcolm
    I think you got it right; the difference was that one was RAF and the other RCAF.
    ============================
    No. 1 School of Fighter Control RCAF Station Ottawa (North), Ontario.
    No. 2 School of Fighter Control RCAF Station Sea Island, British Columbia.
    ============================
    For information's sake, here is speculation on what may have happened with RCAF School of Fighter Control:
    By February 1945 it became obvious that the Nazis were not going to be capable of attacking North America.
    But the Pacific coast of North America was still considered to be threatened by the Japanese.
    No. 1 School of Fighter Control RCAF Station Ottawa (North) was scaled back.
    No. 2 School of Fighter Control RCAF Station Sea Island, British Columbia was either established or expanded.

I am primarily interested in No. 2 School of Fighter Control RCAF Station Sea Island, British Columbia.
    So, if anyone on the forum has anything to add it will be appreciated.

Thanks

To clarify

#1 Fighter Control School was at Rockcliffe ON
    #2 School Of Fighter Control (Controllers) was at Sea Island BC
    #1 School Of Flying Control was at Patricia Bay BC

Ian

Thanks

Ian
    Thanks for that.
    Can you explain the purpose of #2 School of Fighter Control (Controllers) at Sea Island, BC?
    And also, what were the duties of the core personnel?