Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Mayhew, 2 SFTS, March/April 1941

Thanks

Default Peter Mayhew, 2 SFTS, March/April 1941

Guys,

Can anyone please tell me about Peter Mayhew? He would have left 2 SFTS in around March or April 1941 to an OTU or remained as an instructor, but he did not receive a commission at this time.

The web shows a Peter Mayhew with 148 Squadron.

Can anyone tell me anything?

Tried the Gazette but it seems to be down.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Default Peter Mayhew

Hi,

My name is Titus Drummond and I was a Peter Mayhew's unofficial step son (he lived with my step mum). I wonder if you are looking for the same man? I didn't see Peter for more than about 5 minutes after about 1971 but I know that he died on 13th June 2002.

He was an non-commissioned Wellington pilot during WW2 and, obviously, a hero to me. If we are talking about the same man I might be able to give you a bit more info (and I'b be interested in anything from you - have you got any photos?) but please reply to my normal email address (spacedaag@live.co.uk) as I will be back at sea in a week and won't have the same internet access I enjoy on leave (I am in the RFA).

Best regards,

Titus

Can anyone please tell me about Peter Mayhew? He would have left 2 SFTS in around March or April 1941 to an OTU or remained as an instructor, but he did not receive a commission at this time.

The web shows a Peter Mayhew with 148 Squadron.

Can anyone tell me anything?

Tried the Gazette but it seems to be down.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Titus,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Peter Mayhew is mention in Stephen Johnson's book 'Fishing From Afar' written whilst a POW with the Germans. You will see the reference on my web site. I will drop you an E Mail but l cannot find reference to him on Stephen/my fathers course at 2 SFTS, or those either side but l will look again and see if there is a picture of him or further reference but the guy l am looking for certainly was training to become a bomber pilot and it does not look like he was commissioned at that time.

I would be very interested in anything you can tell me to link these two guys together.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com
    Last edited by NickFenton; 20th March 2015 at 19:11.

Thanks

Default Arthur Peter Mayhew, Service No. 1165246, 148 Squadron and 2 SFTS.

Guys,

We have now narrowed this chap down to Arthur Peter Mayhew, Service No.1165246, serving with 148 Squadron at some point, probably around the second half of 1941 and 1942.

Can anyone with access to the 148 Squadron ORB's give us any more info?

Seems to have been involved in a crash in the desert at some point.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Can l bump this one please.

Arthur Peter Mayhew was involved in a crash in the desert whilst with 148 Squadron. Trawled through Chorley but not found anything.

Any ideas.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Hello,

1-2 November 1941
    No.148 Sqn.
    Wellington II X8349
    Op: Benghazi

Took off LG 104 detailed to attack Benghazi. On return crashed in a forced landing in fog, 10km S of LG 103. DBR.

Sgt A P Mayhew
    Sgt J Bowman - injured
    Sgt Finlay
    Sgt J Keenan - injured
    Sgt Field
    Sgt Wakeham

Sgts Bowman and Keenan were seriously injured.

See:
    Royal Air Force Bomber Command Losses in the Middle East and Mediterranean. Vol.1 1939-1942.
    Gunby,David & Pelham Temple.
    Hinckley:Midland Publishing,2006.
    p.93

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 21st April 2015 at 22:56.

Thanks

Col,

Thanks for this.

I have been contacted by a family member who recalls Peter Mayhew talking about this incident.

They were out in the desert somewhere, flying along, minding their own business, when they hit one of those raised plateau features deserts have (obviously not identified by altimeters). Peter said that one minute they were happily flying along and the next minute they were hurting along the desert at two hundred miles an hour. One of the crew (I thought he said co-pilot but maybe it was the bomb aimer) had been stood next to him at that moment and, as the floor was ripped away, this guy found himself running along the desert at an impossible speed. The aircraft (a Wellington) came to a halt and everyone got out but the bottoms of the co-pilot/bomb aimer's shoes had gone and he was lying on the ground with his feet sticking up but the soles of his feet lying at 90 degrees, on the ground - only connected at the heels. Peter gave this guy a morphine injection (breaking the needle off in his arm!) and tied the soles of his feet back with some string! The radio op had apparently banged his head and worse for wear - but no one took much notice because all radio ops were considered pretty mad anyway... And then they all formed up' like we did at school, and had their photo taken in front of the plane. A GREAT photo!

This photo exists somewhere.

I take it they all returned to base?

Regards and thanks,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Hello

I am the grand daughter of Peter Mayhew and would love to help you tell his story.

Regards,

Wendy

Thanks

Wendy,
    Good to hear from you. You will find my E Mail address by my name. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,
    Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Guys,
    Wendy has not been on to check her messages.
    Could one of the mods drop her a line?
    Regards,
    Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com