Thread: S/Ldr MI Boyle DFC - Looking for some info

Thanks

Default S/Ldr MI Boyle DFC - Looking for some info

Good evening everyone,

I am looking for some information on S/Ldr MI Boyle (88389?) DFC who was lost on the same night (26/27 April 1944 - Schweinfurt) as my uncle, W/O Jimmy Horne RCAF. As I understand Boyle was involved in a mid air collision with a 44 Squadron Lancaster. Boyle's a/c came down near my uncle's (PG-S LL904) and his crew was buried along with my uncle's. They share the same mass gravesite to this day at Durnbach Commonwealth War Cemetery.

I was wondering little things like how many missions had Boyle logged, what squadron did he fly with (57?), where his squadron was based... I simply need to put a bit of a face to this man for my uncle's biography. Though they likely never met in life they will forever now be together.

Thanks for your interest,

Kenny Horne
    Edmonton, Canada
    Last edited by Kenny Horne; 8th May 2014 at 02:28.

Thanks

Hi Kenny,

89389 S/L Boyle enlisted September 1939 NCO number 902507. Commissioned Pilot Officer 28-12-1940
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...35049/page/415

BOYLE, F/O Michael Innes (RAF 89399) - Commended for Valuable Services in the Air - No.31 Operational Training Unit, Debert, Nova Scotia - Award effective 28 May 1943 as per London Gazette dated 2 June 1943 and AFRO 1459/43 dated 30 July 1943. (KCVSA – King’s Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air – for military servicemen the award was the same as the Mention in Despatches oakleaf)

Flying Officer Boyle is an extremely capable Flying Instructor who has carried out his duties in a most efficient manner. His diligence and reliability, together with his cheerful disposition, have been an excellent example to other instructors and have made this officer an asset to this Unit. During the past six months he has completed 369 hours on Hudson Conversion
    Traininghttp://airforce.ca/awards.php?search=1&keyword=&page=10&mem=&type=com monwealth

Operational pilot with 106 Sqn November 1943.
    B flight Commander 57 Sqn
    DFC Citation London Gazette 7/4/44
    This officer has taken part in very many sorties and on 5 occasions has attacked Berlin. He has at all times displayed great keenness and devotion to duty and his successes are an excellent tribute to his skill and determination. He is a most efficient flight commander, whose personal example has proved most inspiring.

He and his crew (minus P/O Smith) flew ME679 on the last major raid on Berlin 24/25/3/44

Mark

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the information. I guess that since he did time as an instructor, that he would have probably been on his second tour. It is sad to think of all that skill and experience being lost in an instant.

Kenny