Thread: Barracuda DP868 RNZ Navy 19/07/1943

Thanks

Default Barracuda DP868 RNZ Navy 19/07/1943

Hello,

I know it is not RAF,
    Can anyone provide any details of this aircraft and crew which crashed in Berwickshire.

THe pilot was PO AHP Archibald RNZ Navy the a/c was, I understand, on a ferry flight from RNAS Worthy Down.

Any details would be appreciated

My kindest regards

Chris

Thanks

Hi Chris

I've done a search on Scotland's People, and Arthur Herbert Percy Archibald is listed in their register of deaths. His cause of death is listed as a) Shock and b) Multiple Injuries and Burns, Due to War operations (Aircraft Crash). Location is given as Butterdean Farm. The Informant is given as W/C R.E. Haine(?), C/O of 54 O.T.U.

There don't seem to any other relevant deaths registered on the Grantshouse district in 1943, so either he was alone on the Barracuda, or any other crew survived.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon,

Thats the chap, he is buried at Fogo cemetery.

Regards

Chris

Thanks

Chris,

From my For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Two: Fates 1943-1998):

Mon 19 Jul 1943
    FLEET AIR ARM - SCOTLAND
    Delivery flight from Worthy Down, Hampshire, to Scotland
    781 Squadron, FAA (Lee-on-Solent, Hampshire - HMS Daedalus)
    Barracuda II DP868 - crashed near RAF Station Charterhall, Berwickshire, after engine failure. The pilot and sole occupant is buried at Fogo, a mile NNE of Charterhall.
    Pilot: NZ3171 Petty Off (A) Arthur Herbert Percy ARCHIBALD, RNZN - Age 23.

Errol

Thanks

And from my Vol Three (Biographies & Appendices):

ARCHIBALD, Petty Officer (A) Arthur Herbert Percy.
    NZ3171; b Opotiki 30 Jun 20; Seddon Mem TColl, Auckland; clerk - NZ Newspapers Ltd, Auckland. NZNF [redesignated RNZN 1.10.41] HMS Philomel/Auckland for loan to RN/FAA as Aircrew u/t 28 Aug 41, emb for UK & att HMS St Vincent/Gosport 31 Aug 41, arr 18 Oct 41, HMS Daedalus/Lee-on-Solent c.26 Jan 42, att 14EFTS RAF as Pilot u/t 28 Feb 42, att ACDC RAF for HMS Saker/Canada 14 May 42, emb 15 May 42, att 31SFTS RAF, Pilots Badge & Pty Off [11 Sep 42?], emb for UK, HMS Daedalus/Lee-on-Solent, att 9(P)AFU RAF 22 Oct 42, HMS Heron/Yeovilton for fighter cse 16 Nov 42, 781 Sqn (various a/c types) 26[28?] Mar 43. kaa 19 Jul 43 (Barracuda). Fogo Churchyard - E.9, Berwickshire, Scotland. Son of Stanley Percy & Ada Archibald (née Fryer), Epsom, Auckland. [phot. TWN 18.8.43].

Errol

Thanks

Errol,

Thank you so much,

I am in contact with the farm where the accident happened and intend to identify the exact location of the crash site.

My kindest regards

Chris
    Almost Forgotten
    The Search For Aviation Accidents In Northumberland

Thanks

Hi Chris,
    I am the grand nephew of Arthur Archibald and would like to assist if I can. It may be you have moved onto other projects by now?

Arthurs Logbook and Diary, as well as some photos were passed down to me. Tried to upload a scan of the last log book entry for you but gave up trying (convoluted system on here!).
    It reads:
    "Acting Petty Officer (Airman) AHP Archibald (NZD3171) was involved in a fatal flying accident and was killed when Barracuda Aircraft DP868 crashed 1840 19th July 1943 Butter dean farm, 12 miles West of St Abbs Head Berwickshire - Signed off by the Commander Officer in Charge RNAS Lee-On-Solent.

Arthur had 344 hrs 35 mins of flying time at time of his death on lots of aircraft types. The two previous entries are for the 17th July Seafire IIc LR693 Lee - Chch and Proctor BV798
    Chch - Lee.

I can tell you he was alone in the aircraft. Not sure if true but what I know from my family is he had engine failure and crash landed in a field. Something (damage?) fouled the cockpit and prevented him getting out or a rescue being attempted before it caught fire. Perhaps your research can confirm this?

Arthurs mates back from the war told my great grandfather that the engine maintenance crews were slack, and thats why Arthur's failed. Again not sure if true, but I do know my great grandfather never forgave them. It sounds as if the Barracuda had a reputation for engine failure amongst pilots? Both my parents and an Aunt have visited Arthur at Fogo while in the UK, a trip I plan to make some day.

I hope this information assists, and I would be really interested in how you got on with your research.
    Kind regards
    Simon Paget
    Central Otago, NZ
    Last edited by POANZ3171; 2nd February 2015 at 07:48.

Thanks

Hi Simon,

I have sent you a PM

Regards

Chris

Thanks

Hi Simon,

Looks like you do not have the PM option at present, If you could send me a PM I will be able to pass on everything I have

Regards

Chris

Thanks

Hi Chris,
    Have only just re-discovered this page. PM now enabled.
    Regards