Thread: Wing Commander Orrock No. 248 Squadron

Thanks

Default Wing Commander Orrock No. 248 Squadron

What did Roy Kenneth Orrock do between December 1940 and March 1945 when be became CO 248 Squadron ? What units did he serve in ??

Thanks

Hallo Carsten,

By accident I have just come across his name in the 22 Squadron ORB for 1941. He joined the unit as a pilot at Thorney Island on 19 July 1941 and flew sorties on Bristol Beauforts from July to December 1941 at least. The ORB I have ends on 31 December 1941. He is only listed as 'P/O Orrock', I cannot find his initials or service number in the squadron ORB or Appendices.
    As far as I can see only one other 'Orrock' is shown in the London Gazette 1940-1945 as an officer in the RAF but he - George William - appears to have served in the Equipment Branch throughout the war. So Roy Kenneth seems to be the man who served with 22 Squadron.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Roy Kenneth Orrock, 89090 was with No.22 Sqn from 19/07/1941 to 20/09/1943 when he was posted back to the UK as a F/Lt

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks for the help - it brings me quite a bit forward.

Sorry for the slow reply, but I was out of the country

Carsten

Thanks

Strangely enough, I was this week in contact with relatives of Sgt A R B Rylatt who was lost with Hudson AM834 off Ireland in 1942. One photo they very kindly sent me was of four RAF pilots, Sgt Rylatt and three others, and the only annotation marked on the photo is P - O Orrock. So, checking the Nov 1941 RAF List I see the information above, there being just the one GD branch man.

So, I have loaded the image onto the webpage for AM834 if its of interest to anyone. Orrock has a Royal Aero Club certificate from 19 Sep 1939 at isle of Wight Flying Club. Born 1921, died in 2002 per Ancestry.com family trees. I think this Aero Club photo matches the man on the left of the photo, and Sgt Rylatt is on the extreme right.

http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/imag...34-rylatt3.jpg

http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/am834.htm

Now, Rylatt only finished up training in 61 Air School in mid to late June 1941, I don't have any detailed dates but he wrote to his sister in May 1941 saying he would be finishing up in 61 AS around the 13 June, but the ORB doesn't mention a class completion until much later in the month.
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C2707784

I am wondering would Rylatt have traveled to Africa as a Sergeant perhaps, and maybe trained with Orrock in England before hand? I'll check with Rylatt family and with the Orrocks trees online.

Cheers
    Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

thanks Dennis, now I have something to search for since I now know what the man looked like
    Carsten