Thread: Info on encounters with enemy a/c in Final reports on Operations vs Raid plots

Thanks

Default Info on encounters with enemy a/c in Final reports on Operations vs Raid plots

Hi,

I am looking for additional information about encounters with enemy fighters when Combat Reports are missing and squadron OBRs fail to give any information. Is there any expert who can confirm how much information about combats and other encounters I can find in in the following documents?

• AIR 14/3213-3227 Raid plots: night
    • ARI 14/3408-3412 Operational Research Section: final reports on operations, night raids

I am especially interested to learn if identities of squadrons and crew names or aircraft serial/code
    letters are included. My focus is on the period 1940-42.

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

Thanks

Hi Peter, The Raid Plots don't include info on combats, and the Night Raid Reports only have an aggregated analysis (X losses, Y to flak, Z to n/f etc.) IIRC there are useful gunnery/combat reports in the Group Monthly Summaries and an overall Bomber Command monthly report in the Command ORB Appendices. I may be able to help with Feb-Dec 42, but I don't have earlier, unless you're interest is 1 Group?
    Richard

Thanks

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. It saved me from spending money on the wrong documents.

I have started to create a database or maybe more correct a list of all combat claims for destroyed, probably destroyed or damaged enemy aircraft by Bomber Command during WW2. The period before 1943 is the biggest challenge because so many documents have been lost. For the moment I am concentrating on 3 Group but I am also collecting info about the other Groups.

Thanks for the offer to help me. Do you have any information about encounters/combats involving the Wellington squadrons of 3 Group (75 and 115 Sqns) on the night 15/16 October 1942?

Regards,
    Peter

Thanks

Hi Peter, For 3 Group you need Steve Smith, who has a wealth of research material. I'm afraid the earliest BC monthly Combat Summary I have is 1943.

Best of luck,

Richard

Thanks

Hi Richard,
    I will try with Steve. If it is OK I may Contact you later regarding the 1 Group.

Regards,
    Peter

Thanks

No Problem, Peter. Give me a shout when you're ready.

Thanks

Hi Peter,

the situation with the Raid Plot files (AIR 14/3213-3227) should be thus:

1. the actual raid plot maps have no direct information on claims (these maps were compiled post-war by the BC ORS)
    2. the Group Forms Z supporting the maps WILL have claims data under section D - Combats and Attacks

The data under Section D of the Form Z will give Sqn/Aircraft Letter, location, time, height, enemy aircraft type, and claim type (if claim made). There is often a short narrative of events as well.

Cheers

Rod

Thanks

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely look deeper into the Raid Plot files but it's a pity that so little survives from the first war years.

Cheers
    Peter