Thread: 441029 - Unaccounted Airwomen & Airmen - 29-10-1944

Thanks

Default 441029 - Unaccounted Airwomen & Airmen - 29-10-1944

Hello,

441029 - Unaccounted Airwomen & Airmen - 29-10-1944

From Henk's List -

WAAF
    BEEDIE, Rosemary - Cpl - 884420 - WAAF - Sheffield (City Road) Cemetery - Yorkshire.

ISRAEL
    MAXWELL, Kenneth - Sgt - 1568941 - RAFVR - Ramleh war Cemetery, Israel & Palestine.

ITALY
    FARTHING, Llewelyn Garfield - F/L - 75708 - RAFVR - Bari War cemetery, Italy.

BELGIUM
    LINDSAY, Michael - Sgt - 617313 - RAF - Schoonselhof Cemetery, Antwerpen, Belgium.

From CWGC & Geoff's sites -

INDIA
    RUDKIN, Albert edward - W/O - 314359 - RAF - Delhi War Cemetery, India.

UK
    MANSFIELD, Francis Wall Strover - F/L (Pilot) - 122761 - RAFVR - Herne Bay Cemetery, Kent.

Alex

Thanks

The No.25 EFTS ORB recorded the death of Flight Lieutenant Mansfield as being the only fatality from the crash of Blenheim Z7176 from RAF Catterick, it gives the location as Cottesmore Golf Course, Mansfield, which as it doesn't appear on any maps is probably a corruption of Coxmoor which is on the map.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi

ISRAEL
    MAXWELL, Kenneth - Sgt - two possibilities - Wellington X, LP363 or MF123 of No 77 OTU, which crashed in an emergency landing after a fire broke out in the engine on take off/ was destroyed by fire when a practice bomb fell out whilst parked at Qastina.

ITALY
    FARTHING, Llewelyn Garfield - F/L - 214 Group.

BELGIUM
    LINDSAY, Michael - Sgt - 14 PTC, possibly killed in V1/V2 attack

INDIA
    RUDKIN, Albert edward - W/O - No 2 Hill Station.

UK
    BEEDIE, Rosemary - Cpl - registered in Pancras.

Malcolm

Thanks

hi

my grandmother's, Patricia's, first husband was:

BELGIUM
    LINDSAY, Michael - Sgt - 617313 - RAF - Schoonselhof Cemetery, Antwerpen, Belgium. i was interested to know how he has appeared on these posts. we know little of what happened to him. would anyone have more information? his son, my uncle Roy is still alive and would love to know if there is any other information available.

with thanks,
    joe

Thanks

Hello Joe

he would be best obtaining his service record from the RAF,
    details per below.
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/links/contacts.cfm

his name appears on RAF Casualty lists under the category of Died of Wounds or Injuries received on active service.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...search=Lindsay

The unit he is listed as being with is 14 PTC as Malcolm mentioned above. I think PTC in this case is Personnel Transit Center, basically it would an administrative posting I would guess after he was posted to the continent, while he was awaiting being sent to a front line unit.
    it was noted that seven days earlier, a number of other men posted to 14 PTC were also killed in Belgium, see this thread
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...men-22-10-1944
    Also one more
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...men-23-10-1944

he may have been injured at that time and died the few days after.

The other men killed are all of non aircrew rank, so I'm going to guess that he was also a ground based trades man, although he did have Sergeant rank. That's my supposition until you get a hold of the service file which ought to tell you what trade he was.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Dennis, sorry about the delay in replying to you, distracted with different job demands! belated thanks for your help with Michael. I will pick up now where I left off and talk to my uncle. I was over in my grandmother's house and found the various telegrams etc. you were correct as the first telegram said he was injured. I remember her describing receiving it in Killester and her feelings as a young mother. all very sad. thanks again Joe

Thanks

Hi Joe,

Very late answer to your mail, but I'm new here.

The 14 PTC was stationed at the time in Fort2 Wommelgem, one of the villages near Antwerp. I am a fortress guide there.

From what we have puzzled together, including some information from a veteran of the unit who was send to Antwerp as a replacement for those killed, 8 or 9 members of the unit died when on 22 October 1944 around 4pm, a V2 fell on the soccer field of AVV Laar Wommelgem, where the team of the 14 PTC were playing a game

There were also some civilian casualties but we haven't found anyhting about them until now.

Hope this helps a little bit....

Niko.

Thanks

This may be known already - but wanted to add information just in case someone is looking for this

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...y=&qmem=&cur=0

Rank Name & Number Death Unit Country Cemetary / Memorial
    Leading Aircraftman George Henry CARROLL (614093) 1944-10-29 67 Sqdn Singapore Singapore Memorial

Carroll was with 67 Squadron at Comilla . On the night of 29 October, he left his billet at approximately 2200 hours for a walk in the surrounding native villages. and nobody has seen him subsequently. He is recorded as "Missing"by end of the month.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alclark View Post
    The No.25 EFTS ORB recorded the death of Flight Lieutenant Mansfield as being the only fatality from the crash of Blenheim Z7176 from RAF Catterick, it gives the location as Cottesmore Golf Course, Mansfield, which as it doesn't appear on any maps is probably a corruption of Coxmoor which is on the map.
    Re: F/L F.W.S. Mansfield:

The Blenheim involved was Z6176, not Z7176. Graham Warner/The Bristol Blenheim(2nd.ed.)/619, states:

29-10-1944 - (Blenheim) Z6176 RAF Film Unit Mk IV: Hit colliery cables in low cloud and crashed at Coxmoor Golf Club, near Mansfield, Notts; F/Lt F. Mansfield (solo Pilot) killed.

Col.

Thanks

Thanks Niko, appreciate your response. Sorry for delay, I only checked the forum today as Michael came up in conversation.

Regards
    Joe