Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 440814 - Unaccounted Airwoman & Airmen - 14-8-1944

Thanks

Hello,

Here are the details of Sgt Poling's accident.

22 March 1944
    No.1658 HCU
    Halifax II W7865
    Training.

T/o Riccall for general training. Crashed at 1757 near Cattal Station, just beyond the village of Kirk Hammerton on the York to Knaresborough railway line and a little over two miles NNE from Marston Moor airfield.

P/O P T Bath RCAF +
    Sgt A S Heaton - Inj
    Sgt W H W Husband RCAF - Inj
    F/O F E Ireland RCAF - Inj
    P/O T N W Bissett - Inj
    Sgt J A Poling RCAF - Inj
    Sgt R Thorpe - Inj- (Died of his injuries)
    F/O A J Cogbill - Inj - (Died of his injuries)

BCL8/97.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 24th February 2016 at 11:27.

Thanks

P T Bath's service file is available on ancestry.com with a Form 765 crash report if you want to see that and a photo of Bath.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks for the crash details Col. It was interesting in that it doesn't completely mesh with a letter my dad wrote home after the accident. He said, "My pilot, rear gunner and flight control officer were killed. The fuselage of the kite broke in two and I was thrown out into the mud of a plowed field." Do you have any idea who the rear gunner would be? In his letter he said the rear gunner was in the crash position next to him when they crashed.

Thanks

Sorry Col, it does agree with my father's letter, the pilot died in the crash to make it three. I didn't see P/O Bath as one of the dead.

Thanks

Col Bruggy, could you tell me the source of the accident details and also, are the names that do not have RCAF beside them RAF personnel? I also have a picture of what I thought was my fathers crew yet none of the names on the accident list match that picture. Would it have been the practice to team new trainees into new crews when they were first attached to 1658 HCU? I know he was close to the men who crashed with him.

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Hello,

Here are the details of Sgt Poling's accident.

22 March 1944
    No.1658 HCU
    Halifax II W7865
    Training.

T/o Riccall for general training. Crashed at 1757 near Cattal Station, just beyond the village of Kirk Hammerton on the York to Knaresborough railway line and a little over two miles NNE from Marston Moor airfield.

P/O P T Bath RCAF +
    Sgt A S Heaton - Inj
    Sgt W H W Husband RCAF - Inj
    F/O F E Ireland RCAF - Inj
    P/O T N W Bissett - Inj
    Sgt J A Poling RCAF - Inj
    Sgt R Thorpe - Inj- (Died of his injuries)
    F/O A J Cogbill - Inj - (Died of his injuries)

BCL8/97.

Col.

Thanks

Hello Ron, glad you are getting the answers you are seeking. As a rule, we do not repeat passages using the 'quote' function without good reason. It's no big deal, just keeps the thread easier to read and uses less space.
    Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Ron

BCL8 is Volume 8 of the series of books 'Bomber Command Losses', by Bill Chorley, pretty much the standard reference for RAF Bomber Command aircraft lost. Volume 8 deals with Heavy Conversion Units and Miscellaneous Units.

As an aside, Cogbill was a Pilot Officer who served as a Flying Control Officer at R.A.F. Marston Moor. Arthur Cogbill was an English teacher at the Bedlington High School. The Arthur Cogbill Memorial Prize is awarded annually for Spoken English. When the school was the Bedlington Grammar School, there was an Annual Public Speaking Competition, at which the Prize was awarded to a person who, it was felt, deserved it, and who was not necessarily the winner of the Competition. Now the prize is given to the winner.

Source: http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6462

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Bruce, I am getting more than just the answers, I am getting detail that makes it so much easier to be transported back to the war years. Thanks to all the forum members who have contributed. I will take care to avoid the use of the quote function.
    Best regards to all,
    ron

Thanks

Hello Ron,
    If you already have this, apologies, but have you seen this file at The National Archives (UK)?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7160908

It covers 10 Conversion Flight which became 1658 Conversion Unit. Please let me know if you need help accessing it.

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Would anyone have access to more information on RAF Sgt R Thorpe? I have in good background for the two other men killed in the crash and I would like to remember Sgt Thorpe equally if at all possible. I have searched everywhere I have access but turned up nothing.
    Thank you.
    ron