Thread: Archived Thread Regarding Dokota flight FL515

Thanks

Default Archived Thread Regarding Dokota flight FL515

I am wondering if member wgadow still frequents these pages?

I have stumbled across an archived thread from some older pages dating back from 2001, which was started by wgadow, regarding the loss of this Dakota after leaving RAF Portreath during late 1943. I have been looking into the incident, as my great uncle (Harry Aves) was on the flight. I only found out about the incident after my grandfather died a short while ago.

I may have some information of use, or likewise somebody may have information that I can use.

Would be great to hear from anyone who shares the interest for any reason.

Thanks in advance

Marshy
    Last edited by Mayhem Marshy; 22nd May 2014 at 12:41. Reason: shocking grammar, sorry

Thanks

The basic facts are that the aircraft, with twelve on board, took off from Portreath on 30 November and shortly afterward entered a spin into the sea. The date was 30 Nov 43.

The BofI judged that the aircraft had been incorrectly loaded and hence had a tail down trim which the pilot might not have realised until the aircraft became airborne. Furthermore, the aircraft was subjected to strong vertical air currents after take-off. The AOC disagreed but accepted that the loading could have been better supervised.

The aircraft, captained by W/O J H Gillies 26, comprised four crew - one of whom was a Polish navigator serving in the RAF. The passengers were an SNCO, one LAC and six Aircraftman. If you want the full list, please post accordingly.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi all,

Colin you have previously posted the crew/pax details on here.
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...-November-1943

And Marshy, it would be handier and tidier to keep all posts about a subject on the one thread, we nearly have duplicate thread contents.

the old thread for reference for others: http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/00223.php
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I think that's a bit unfair, Dennis, The reference you give is for a read-only page and the heading clearly states a new thread should be started for any subsequent query, which is what Marshy, a newcomer, has done.

Colin's post was on a thread I started, the heading of which gave no indication that Marshy's accident would form part of the response.

Brian

Thanks

Brian, the first link I posted is not an archive one, and that was directed at Colin to save him the effort of posted unnecessarily. It would have been a perfect place to keep FL515 questions together.

I was able to pick up that marshy was referring to an archive thread since he uses that term in his first post. Marshy has posted on the non archive thread in the past and thus knows/knew of it.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Sorry if my post had stirred up any confusion, the previous thread popped up on a google search, and I couldn't get beyond that. No going over old ground intended.
    My grandfathers brother was Harry Aves, who was on FL515, and was indeed killed on that flight. He had trained, like my grandfather, to be a radio operator and was being posted to a listening station overseas (my grandfather was posted to the Y station at Chicksands Priory).
    I know the Dakota had left Lyneham and stopped at Portreath prior to heading for Gibraltar. I can only assume that Harry was off to the Mediterranean, India, or North Africa (would like to find out where). The aircraft crashed about 1 mile from the runway at Portreath and English Heritage have it registered as a wreck / crash site and indeed grave.
    I have got the Ops book and coastguard/RNLI report, but would like to try and obtain any further information and, if possible, any photos of the crew and aircraft. Finding photos of a less glamorous (in some eyes) aircraft in a transport squadron is proving to be difficult. I have also contacted Wessex Archaeology and local dive operators to see if any more is known about the wreck, as I would have assumed that the engines at least May still be evident. The dive operators have told me that the waters are fairly shallow and rocky, so very little probably remains.
    Anyway, that is as far as I have got, but will post further information as I obtain it.

Thanks

Marshy

Thanks

Regarding the posting details for your great uncle Harry Aves, can I suggest his Record of Service.

It might be that this will record the intended destination, when he arrived overseas. If so that will close off that part of your query. If not, I think it unlikely that any other official sources will be able to answer. Nonetheless, is there anybody in the family who knows where he was destined? Did he, for example, have a sister or girl friend or a best mate who might have been aware that he was off to 'the foreign'?

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thanks Colin,

I have been to visit my grandmother today. She doesn't think that she has anything, but Will look. My grandfather never talked about Harry and found it very painful to do so. It may be the case that any paperwork is hidden deep away somewhere.

Grandad didn't even tell anyone what he did during the war until the 1990s.

Hopefully something will turn up before the trail goes cold. I am also going to try to find out about the other people lost and am hoping to go down to Portreath in the not to distant future.

Over and out

M.M