Thread: Collision of Halifaxes LL297 and LL186 of 518 Squadron, Tiree 16 August 1944

Thanks

Default Collision of Halifaxes LL297 and LL186 of 518 Squadron, Tiree 16 August 1944

I was just reading in the Oban Times that a memorial is being erected to the crews of LL296 and LL186 who died 16th August 1944 near Tiree.

The memorial is to be unveiled and dedicated at 13:25h on 16th August 2014 (same time as the accident happened). They have traced the families of 15 of the 16 killed but have been unable to trace any relatives of Kenneth Williams.

Presumably this is him

WILLIAMS, KENNETH

Sergeant
    Trade:
    Flt. Engr.
    Service No:
    Date of Death:
    16/08/1944
    Regiment/Service:
    Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

518 Sqdn.
    Grave Reference
    Sec. A. C. of E. Grave 497.
    Cemetery
    BEBINGTON (PLYMYARD) CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of Herbert and Jessie Williams, of Eastham.
    MB

Thanks

That's him. MB, by virtue of the unit (518 Squadron). Possibly one way of tracing any relatives, other thank trying to find descendants through Births/Marriages and Deaths, is to place a request in the Bebington?Liverpool/Wirral newspaper(s). My apologies if that's been tried already.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyffe View Post
    That's him. MB, by virtue of the unit (518 Squadron). Possibly one way of tracing any relatives, other thank trying to find descendants through Births/Marriages and Deaths, is to place a request in the Bebington?Liverpool/Wirral newspaper(s). My apologies if that's been tried already.
    Work has obviously been done in tracing family but I have posted to the Cheshire and Liverpool family history lists just in case no one has tried there.

I just spotted in the paper, not had anything to do with the memorial.

I have photographed the war graves on Tiree from the accident, the day I was there the BBC Coast programme had just been filming them.
    Last edited by mbriscoe; 22nd May 2014 at 16:32.
    MB