Thread: Air Chief Marshal Sir Augustus Walker (36019)

Thanks

Default Air Chief Marshal Sir Augustus Walker (36019)

Hi All, I found a detailed biography of above mentioned officer on Malcom's great site.

There is a short description how he lost his right arm:

incident in which he lost his arm occurred on 8 December 1942 whilst he was Station Commander of RAF Syerston. A Lancaster belonging to one of his squadrons lost some incendiaries just as it was about to take off. Racing to the rescue of the crew, 'Gus' was seriously injured, when he was blown along the runway by the force of an exploding 4000lb bomb, ignited by the incendiaries.

Would be anybody able to provide me more informatior or advice me any useful source?
    I am after the particular Lancaster identification and fate of the crew.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,

Chorley tells us that it was a 61 Sqn Lancaster serial number R5864 and code letters GB.

He does not mention any crew casualties and I have not checked the Commonwealth War Graves registers for that date.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Something amiss here Colin, 61 Squadron code was QR. GB was 105 Squadron.
    In the incident described by Pavel, it is alleged that when "Gus" Walker was picked up by men attending the crash, he asked one of them to see if they could find his arm as there was a new glove on the hand! Whether there's any truth in that I cannot say, but from what I've heard and read about the man, I wouldn't be surprised if it was genuine!
    Cheers,
    Bill.

Thanks

I've just checked Mason's book to see if any other info comes to light but apart from the fact that the aircraft had first been with 106 Sqn and a list of its sorties, nothing new.

Agree re Gus Walker, he was still around when I joined and became an Air Chief Marshal in about 1967 before retiring in 1970. The stories about him are only matched by those told about Paddy Bandon - The Abandoned Earl!! Perhaps we need a Thread for stories about characters in the services!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin,
    The Forum would have to seriously increase its memory banks if we were to have a Walker/Bandon Thread!!!!
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks chaps for all posts.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

This incident is covered in Gibson's 'Enemy Coast Ahead':

"Before he was taken off to a base hospital he said two things. He asked me if I would look for his arm which had a brand new glove on it and he told me to ring up the AOC and ask him if he would take a one armed Station commander in two months time and Gus came back in that time to the day."

Thanks

Hello.

If memory does not fail me, on the magnific book "Only Owls and Bloody Fools Fly at Night" (Bomber crews) by Tom Sawyer (ISBN: 9780907579922) we also do have a small passage about this incident. I do not have it here now, but can check later...from memory, it is from the middle of the book to the end.

The thread about "the characters" within the Royal Air Force will certainly be a "must"....because I can remember several "lads" who certainly will be on that huge list...Gibson, Gus Walker, some who lost one leg or an eye and kept going, etc...

Adriano