Thread: Crash near Anderby/Anderby Creek north of Skegness

Thanks

Default Crash near Anderby/Anderby Creek north of Skegness

An elderly relative of my wife was with the Home Guard in Skegness area during WW2 and spoke of a number of crashes in the area and two particularly to the north of the town in the Anderby area. One or maybe both was off the coast. He also mentioned a German airman who was washed up and buried at St.Andrews church there. Sadly we know no more.

Please can anybody help us with any details.
    thanks.

Thanks

Hi Pete,

For off the coast (approx. 6 miles), close to Anderby Creek count Lancaster PB294 (1944).

July 25th - Skegness, Lincolnshire.
    At 04:40 in the morning, a message was received from the coastguard that it was thought a Lancaster aeroplane was down in the sea about six miles from Anderby Creek. A light southerly wind was blowing and the sea was calm. The aeroplane could be seen blazing when the motor lifeboat 'Anne Allen' was launched at 05:28. About eight miles from Skegness Pier, she found wreckage and searched a wide area, but found no men. One body was picked up by an RAF launch. The lifeboat picked up parachutes, caps, boots and other things, and handed them to the air authorities when she arrived back at 10:00.
    Rewards 10 19s 9d."
    (Source: Supplement to Annual Reports of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution 1939-46)

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Many thanks Ross, I suspect that will be one of them,
    there is a suspicion that another might have been an early wartime blue-on-blue but the problem we have is that he is no longer with us and I am getting snippets from various members of the family as nobody seems to have really listened to his stories, which is a real shame.

I found an old note I'd made regarding a Fairey Battle shot down in the vicinity but have lost it again, my memory these days is terrible !

Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Ah ha, I found it.

QUOTE (from an official file at National Archives) -
    "Bomber Command are still very upset and angry and continually making complaint and further comment regarding the Court of Inquiry into the shooting down of Battle L5568 of F/O B. E. Moss 72027, B. C. Long 580616 & T. Radley 646336 on 1st August 1940 at Anderby Creek (nearest town Mablethorpe). Bomber Command felt that there were other problems contributing to the shooting down and it was not their Battle Captain's fault, one being the opening of new Bomber Stations taking 6 weeks to two months to be officially notified to be notified to all concerned. Bomber Command are mounting a vigorous defence from several angles, on behalf of the late Battle crew, for months after the Inquiry."