Thread: S/Ldr W. Foster 66 Sqn RAF July 1944

Thanks

Default S/Ldr W. Foster 66 Sqn RAF July 1944

As far as I know 66 Sqn RAF was commanded by S/Ldr Hugh Anthony Stephen Johnston during July 1944.
    According to the unit ORB many missions were flown with the squadron at the time by a S/Ldr W. Foster.
    Was he William Leslie Foster, service no. 136332?
    What was his official post at the time: supernumerary S/Ldr with the squadron? Wing HQ?
    Thanks in advance for any piece of info.

Thanks

Hello

I don't have the ORB for July, but I have it for August to October, and though the names in the form 541s are hand written and on many pages the writing is very faint for August, I can tell the initials for S/L FOSTER are W.M. He was still with the Squadron on October, where his initial is typed as W. No service number unfortunately.

I also confirm S/L H.A.S. JOHNSTON was the C.O., he was replaced by S/L EASBY on 22nd October 1944.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Joss,

According to the July 1944 Air Force List there was no W.M.Foster in the RAF.
    Allowing for the unclear writing I have also checked W.H., W.K. and W.W. Fosters: there was one in Training Branch, one in Technical Branch and one an F/O at the time.
    William Leslie Foster remains the only air crew S/Ldr W. Foster in the RAF at that time that I was able to find.

But the officer in question might in fact be RAAF, RCAF, or RNZAF, of course.

Wojtek

Thanks

Hello

I agree with you about the possibility of FOSTER being RAAF, RCAF or RNZAF. For example, there's no mention that F/L J.G. PATTISON was RNZAF, and he was. There were also 2 Free French, BUIRON and ROBIDET, none is stated as French.

Typos are also always possible...

Joss

Joss

Thanks

Hello,

The airman you are seeking, is: C910 S/L William Mortimer FOSTER RCAF (later DFC, LG: 29/12/1944 p.5955 No.66 Sqn.)

http://airforce.ca/awards.php?search...mem=&type=rcaf

Scroll down to FOSTER, William Mortimer.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 30th May 2014 at 12:47.

Thanks

Thanks a lot!

Thanks

Hi VoyTech,

I realize this is an old post, but I stumbled upon it after doing a google search. William Mortimer Foster is my grandfather!
    I am interested in what kind of other information you were able to find on him and Sqn 66.

Mary