Thread: Unknown Officers, Llanbedr, Sep.-Nov. 1942

Thanks

Default Unknown Officers, Llanbedr, Sep.-Nov. 1942

Dear all

Several questions rolled up into one, so I hope someone can help.

On 18 October 1942, 41 Squadron's pilots were assembled for a lecture by the 9 Group Controller, Sqdn. Ldr. J. K. Chatham, on encountering enemy aircraft during night flying.

- Can anyone give me forenames for Sqdn. Ldr. Chatham, please?

On 22 October 1942, three pilots took off to practice cloud flying but failed ot return. The following day, a Court of Enquiry was held into their disappearance, led by a Wg. Cdr. G. G. Tomlinson of Wrexham and 9 Groupís Flying Control Officer Sqdn. Ldr. F. H. Thompson.

- Can anyone give me forenames for Tomlinson and Thompson, please? Additionally, can anyone tell me what post Tomlinson held at the time?

- I also feel it is curious that a Court of Enquiry was started within a day of the pilots going missing, but before the aircraft had been found or the pilotsí fate known. Was this normal procedure?

On 26 October 1942, one of the pilots' funerals was held with the ceremony led by the Padre, Sqdn. Ldr. Parkes.

- Can anyone give me forenames for Sqdn. Ldr. Parkes, please?

On 16 November 1942, Air-to-sea firing practice for 41 Squadron was led by Sqdn. Ldr. Anthony E. Robinson (This is 39472 Anthony Edward Robinson). He appears on a few occasions at Llanbedr, but was not a member of the Squadron. Can anyone tell me which post he held at the time, please?

Thanks for your help
    Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve,

From Oct 1940 AFL:
    74077 John Kenneth Chatham, Plt Off 24 Oct 39 (ASD, Admin).
    &
    05214 George Campbell Tomlinson, Sqn Ldr 1 Aug 39 (GD & qualified interpreter).

From Nov 1941 AFL:
    86520 Frederick H. Thompson Fg Off 22 Jul 41 (ASD).
    &
    61208 Rev R. V. Parkes, Sqn Ldr 12.2.41 (Ch)

Errol

Eddie Fell Guest

Reginald Victor Parkes

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Steve, here's some info on Tomlinson:
    From RAF Atcham ORB (Sector HQ) there are a number of mentions of Wing Commander G C Tomlinson OBE (later written CBE) DFC, Commanding Officer of Wrexham taking over temporary command of Sector HQ from Group Captain Heber-Percy. These temparary posting occur between July and October 1942. A quick look of the London Gazette finds his Service number as 05214.

No mentions of the others going to Llanbedr though.

A E Robinson served at 11 FTS, Shawbury prewar. All that i have on him is:
    P/O (Instructor) Anthony Edward Robinson (39472) (ex RAAF). He was commissioned P/O on 19th February 1937. The LG lists him as being on strength of 11 FTS, Shawbury in October 1938. Promoted F/O 19th November 1937 and then F/Lt 3rd September 1940. He was killed on 10th February 1943 serving as a Sqn Leader with 610 (County of Chester) Squadron. He is also listed on the RAAF Roll of Honour, but no files in Austrlian Archives. Killed flying in Spitfire EE767 when engaged by FW190’s over Caen. Son of Alfred Edward Robinson and of Florence Emily Maria Robinson (nee Crowther); husband of Joan Patricia Myrtle Robinson (nee Leigh), of North Stoke, Oxfordshire.

Hope it helps, Tom

Thanks

Dear Errol, Eddie and Tom

Thank you very much for your replies; they're a great help.

Is there somewhere I can obtain basic information on how Courts of Enquiry into flying accidents worked? In this case, two people were gathered together at short notice, arriving in Llanbedr within 24 hours of the accident, and undoubtedly stayed a few days, in order to discover the cause. How did these CoE's work, in basic terms, and are their reports held somewhere today in the National Archives?

Tom, it's clearly difficult to pinpoint Robinson's role at the time - I knew it would be when I asked the question - but do you feel we may assume Robinson fulfilled a flying instructor role as a member of the Llanbedr Station staff? (The Llanbedr ORB makes no mention of his role during this period)

Thanks once again for your help

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve, it's certainly possible. I was wondering if anyone has the ORB for 610 Squadron; maybe they can tell us from where and when Robinson was posted into the Squadron? Might help us both out?!

Thanks

Hi Tom

Yes, good idea. If no-one on the forum comes up with this, I'll add it to my list for my next visit to Kew. I wonder when he joined 610? A quick check of Rawlings' Fighter Squadrons of the RAF shows Johnnie Johnson was CO at the time of Robinson's death, so perhaps he was a supernummerary gaining experience in preparation for an operational command?

Steve

Thanks

Default Sq Ldr A E Robinson

We have a record of Sq Ldr A E Robinson's last flight communicating with Johnnie Johnson during his fatal flight and a record of his service in England. We can dig it out and scan it and send to anyone interested, if this were helpful.

My husband was his cousin by marriage and we are off to visit his grave at Grandcourt, France, this Friday with Tony's daughter Rosemary.

Our email: sigridleidig@aol.com

Thanks

Hello,

Anthony Edward ROBINSON. (Up to his return to the UK, from Australia, in September, 1942).

Born Wollongong, NSW 28 July 1914
    Enlisted in RAAF - 20 January 1936
    RAAF Cadet Point Cook - January 1937
    Embarked for UK, per RMS "NARKUNDA" - 9 January 1937
    Granted SSC (P/O) RAF - 19 February 1937
    No.213 Sqn, Church Fenton - 4 September 1937
    CFS, Upavon - 8 August 1938
    No.11 FTS, Shawbury - October 1938
    Forced landing in Hart K4964 at Caynton Manor, between Tibberton and Edgmond, nr Newport, Shropshire - 13 October 1938 (Per Tom Thorne)
    To F/O - 19 November 1938
    To exchange duty Australia - 1940
    Arrived in Australia - April 1940
    No.21 Sqn RAAF - April 1940
    To F/Lt. (39472) - 3 September 1940
    No.1 SFTS, Point Cook (Instructor) - 1941
    HQ No.2 Training Group (SOT) - February 1942.
    To S/L (temp.) - 1 March 1942
    Returned to UK -

Robinson has an undigitised A9300 at the NAA:

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ListingReports/ItemsListing.aspx?Barcode=5244856

On 10 February 1941, Robinson was involved in a mid-air collision, at Werribee, Victoria, between two Wapitis from No.1 SFTS, Point Cook. There was one fatality, two injured and one safe. At the time of the accident, Robinson was an instructor at Point Cook.

The aircraft and crews were as follows:

Wapiti A5-21
    Pilot: 2931 Sgt R.J. Barker - Sl. inj.
    Pupil: 407341 LAC R.H.Stratford - Killed

Wapiti A5-39
    Pilot: 39472 F/L A.E. Robinson RAF - Injured, spine and ankle
    Pupil: 400629 LAC R.S. Osment - Safe

Here is a newspaper report, which is suprisingly accurate, given the constraints of wartime censorship:

R.A.A.F. PLANES COLLIDE: MAN KILLED, OTHERS ESCAPE.

One man was killed, another, injured, had an extraordinary escape from death, the two others parachuted to safety when two R.A.A.F. planes collided near Werribee yesterday.

Like the fatal accident in Queensland last monththe accident occurred while blind flying was being practised.

Those involved were:-

Killed - LAC Robert Henry Stratford, 21, formerly of Glenelg, S.A.
    Injured - S/L Anthony Edward Robinson, 26, Married, of Point Cook Service Flying Training School.
    Landed safely -
    Sgt. Robert John Barker, 23, of Caulfield, Victoria.
    LAC Robert Sydney Osment, 20, Single of Glen iris, Victoria.

In an official announcement, the Air Board pointed out that during the flying practice only the pupil was under the hood. Instructors kept look-out in an open cockpit.

After the crash Barker and Osment baled out and landed safely. Stratford it is thought, made his jump late. His parachute was opened when he was found. Robinson's parachute caught on the plane. he landed almost simultaneously with it.

The extent of his injuries is not yet known. They will be determined by X-Ray.

Stratford was educated at Prince Alfred College and Adelaide University. Robinson is an R.A.F. officer on loan to the R.A.A.F.

See:
    The Sun-News Pictorial.
    Tuesday, February 11, 1941.
    p.9.

There is an undigitised A705 at the NAA, relating to this accident, plus a digitised A9845 Accident Report.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 12th April 2012 at 00:01.