Thread: Wireless Op/ Bomb Aimer.

Thanks

Default Wireless Op/ Bomb Aimer.

As 420 Squadron transitioned from Hampdens to Wellington III's in August to October 1942, many of the Wireless Ops from the Hampden crew seemed to be retrained as a Bomb Aimer on Wellingtons. Was this standard practice, or the possibility to keep these crews intact until they were tour expired. There was at least 6 Wireless Ops from the Hampden period that show up as Bomb Aimers during the Wellington period. There were no bomb aimers on a Hampden, just a nav and two wireless op/air gunners.
    Thanks anyone's input, Richard

Thanks

Richard,
    I can only give you a fairly modern instance of what the military requires it’s blokes(and blokesses) to do if the situation demands it!
    When we were eventually accommodated in the Coastels, in Stanley Harbour, on Op CORPORATE, my Leader went to get his hair cut in the Army Coastel. As the young soldier began work my Boss asked him how long he had been cutting hair. He replied “Since 0930 this morning, Sir!”. “No, no” says my Boss, “you misunderstand me, how long have you been a barber?”. “Since 0930 this morning, Sir!”.
    Today a WoP, tomorrow a BA!! T’was always thus!!! Better to re-train (if only locally) a good set of blokes - i.e. a crew - rather than split it up!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Dear Richard
    What Peter says makes complete sense.
    There was an earlier thread as to why so many trained pilots acted as Observers on a Hampden. This was down to many trained pilots getting their earlier operational experience as an Observer before they captained their own crew. This may have been the case with other aircraft such as Wellingtons.
    On transferring from Hampdens to the larger Wellington, the Pilot would have kept his job and the Observer would have become the Navigator. As you say the Hampden had two Wireless Op / Air Gunners. These would be potentially spread to being either Bomb Aimers, Wireless Ops or Air Gunners.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Thanks for the input and it solved another issue I had. R. Rayne flew as a nav with 420 sq and after 10 or 15 ops, he is flying as a Pilot. Sadly he goes missing.
    Regards, Richard