Thread: Library and Archives of Canada Digital War Dead Collection

Thanks

Default Library and Archives of Canada Digital War Dead Collection

Been following the start made by the Canadian Archives to provide digital copies of casualty service files 1939-47.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...-war-dead.aspx

The population of the basic database is slow but a growing number of digital gene package RCAF service files are making it to be available for web viewing.

A useful addition to the basic database for all casualties is the date of birth and is displayed regardless of the pdf being created and stored.

For example going to the search page and entering Thompson along with selection digital gives a few returns

Norman Roy Thompson, born 1921-06-17 at Belmont has a digital file pdf.

Click on his name to bring up the full results page.

Top left is a link to download the full gene casualty file.

NOW THE IMPORTANT BIT
    - initially I though that this link was broken as regardless of page it did not seem to do anything - but I have found that it is downloading pages but the size of the file is considerable and takes an age. Let it spin out in the background for several minutes.

Eventually 137 pages of high res colour pdf will appear giving the additional info of his full service file and that he died from natural causes (fever) at Calcutta.

The basic details are a useful resource at the moment but the addition of digital files make this the first steps to replicating the online access and content of the NAA A705 casualty files.

Edit - Willis Henry Thompson file took my connection over 15 mins to load but the 281 page content includes RAF flying clothing card/Service and Pay Book and the paperwork for appointment for commission of War Casualty along with identity photos.

Regards
    Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 1st June 2014 at 09:28.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross

Thanks for posting this fantastic link.. I wonder if it will solve any of the Henk Canadian Unaccounted list - I have an email somewhere which I will need to dig out he sent me which had some of his 'outstandings'

I don't know which browser you were using I looked via Chrome the pdf came up with a loading symbol which showed some progress but I must admit it does take along time!

Kinid Regards

Paul

Thanks

PS

Searching just "A" and Service number "J" Digitial "Yes" brings 133 names back so you can find all digitized files (if not published elsewhere) all RCAF Officer names with 'A' in there name and then repeat for NCO. can then do 'B' C etc
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 1st June 2014 at 11:55.

Thanks

John O'Dowda - 358 pages including really interesting MRES reports and reference to captured German documents/KE report co-mingled in the pdf. Glad to see this was not omitted from the scan.

Leave Surname and Given Names blank - Search with only Service Number 'J' and Digitized File=YES get all RCAF Officers (currently 289)
    then Search with Service Number 'R' get all other RCAF (currently 202)
    Warning these searches seem to omit names with an apostrophe and maybe others too??

Cheers
    Rodger
    Last edited by rmventuri; 1st June 2014 at 23:07. Reason: add search tip
    In remembrance of the crew of Halifax HR732
    51 Squadron Snaith - All LWT Leipzig 4 December 1943

Thanks

John O'Dowda - 358 pages including really interesting MRES reports and reference to captured German documents/KE report co-mingled in the pdf. Glad to see this was not omitted from the scan.

Cheers
    Rodger

Thanks

High Flight

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

372 Pages

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item?o...illespie-j5823

Definitely appears you get more "feedback" while waiting for download in Chrome

Thanks

Hello

Another famous airman whose file is available as a pdf is Andrew Mynarki's, VC, with correspondence from his fellow crewmembers.440 pages in all !

It takes a long time to download indeed, but the warning from Ross in his initial message (Thanks for the pointer !!!) about the slow download and apparent non-action was most helpful.

Joss

Thanks

All I had trouble saving the PDF to my hard disk, however I got around it by "Printing It" but instead of actually Printing it you "Print to PDF" which you can then store

Thanks

Just down loaded F/Lt. John Alfred Johnson J6940,Sunderland DD851 file. 488 pages/ 153MB includes Form765c (Page 10 onwards) and Form 412 (page 31 Onwards). The file even records his annual Revolver shooting score.
    Also John Donald Shanahan J16166 who was killed when B-17 9207 RCAF crashed at Prestwick. Details of his survival in a dinghy for 8 days when Wellington Z8504 came down while enroute from Portreath to the Middle East on 19/1/42( Pages 318 & 463).

Alan.

Thanks

Spoke to Canadian L/A today and they told me;
    1. Currently a project is underway to digitize all WWI service files - expected to complete 2015 (December I would conjecture)
    2. She know's of no project to do the same for WWII war dead service files (however is checking and will get back to me)
    3. WWII digitized files are being made available online as people order a service file and as a normal course of business are digitized to pdf (no longer photocopy)

Lets hope
    Rodger
    Last edited by rmventuri; 3rd June 2014 at 21:15.