Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Commander DONALD CECIL BROADBENT WALKER, 544 Sqdn

Thanks

Default Wing Commander DONALD CECIL BROADBENT WALKER, 544 Sqdn

I would be grateful for any help you lovely people on this site who know everything.
    Any information you can provide on the service history and final flight details etc
    Wing Commander DONALD CECIL BROADBENT WALKER,
    544 Sqdn Photo Recon from RAF Benson
    Formerly Capt. Royal Northumberland Fusiliers
    Died 11-11-1943 after crashing in Spain. Buried in PENA (NAVARRE) CEMETERY

Thanks

Hi

He was killed whilst flying in Mosquito IX, LR478 of No 544 Sqn, which was shot down by flak during a PR sortie over Southern France. He must have managed to fly his damaged aircraft to Spain before crashing.

Malcolm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_raf View Post
    Hi

He was killed whilst flying in Mosquito IX, LR478 of No 544 Sqn, which was shot down by flak during a PR sortie over Southern France. He must have managed to fly his damaged aircraft to Spain before crashing.

Malcolm
    Thanks for that Malcolm, was already aware of that bit. His navigator a A V Crowe made it out via Gibraltar but was killed in 1944 over Germany. It is more on the Wing Commander himself as I am trying to build up a history on him & his family. His grave is on top of a very remote hill in Northern Spain where nobody goes apart from the locals once a year to pay their respects. Am hoping to get a group together to go over this year or next to do it properly!!

Thanks

Hi Smullis,

W/C WALKER and F/O CROW [Arthur Maurice] took off from Benson at 11:14 on sortie E/518. The objective was Modane, for damage assessment.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Thanx Andy, didn't know the sortie number etc or the objective. Its a hell of a story & full of coincidences.

Thanks

Adding to the information every hour now. Long way from Modane to Pena with big mountains in between.
    http://www.lostaircraft.com/database...entry&e=29604#
    Airborne on 11 Nov 1943 from Benson on a photographic reconnaisance (PR) mission to Modane (Rhône-Alpes) and other points in southern France. "On leaving the target I noticed a stream of metal coming from the starboard engine." - Arthur Crow\'s MI9 report. "The wingco was a well built man and as a pilot he had to wait for his navigator to scramble out first, the cramped confines of the cockpit offering no other options," wrote Foster (2004), and: "The navigator got clear, landed and struck out for neutral Spain by way of the Pyrenees, but poor Walker was jammed in the exit trapdoor of the cockpit and was killed in that position when the kite hit the ground." The aircraft crashed in the Basque border region between France and Spain.

Thanks

I understand that Antheor Viaduct was visited as part of a pair of raids by 617 Sq. Also did you know he is on the Malton, Yorkshire War Memorial.

Thanks

Now found my file on W/C Walker. In 1940 he was on 613 Squadron at Firbeck. He was also on 9 Air AOP Course. I was in contact with Noel Gordon who was researching Firbeck and sent me three photos of W/C Walker. 613 Sq. photo at Firbeck, photo with Lady Ann & Lady Margaret Cavendish-Bentick in front of NAAFI van at Firbeck, 9 AOP Course.

Thanks

Hi, my name is David and I am a mountain biker from Pamplona, 50 Kms. from Peņa, where D.C.B.Walker is buried.
    I am very interested about this history. Here, some people know it and visit the cementery.
    This history must not be forgotten, Wing Commander Walker must not be forgotten.

Smullis, I have seen your website about D.C.B.Walker...
    What about your trip? Will you come here? When?
    In the website you say ”...someone who has no-one else who cares” but you are wrong. Yesterday I went to Peņa Cementery and there was flowers on burial. It is the cleanest grave in the cementery.

Last edited by DavidSpain; 23rd November 2014 at 09:57.

Thanks

Hi John, Thanks for reply ref W/C Walker. Would love to see the photographs you have of W/C Walker as I have never seen him & it would be nice to put a face to my mission!! Do you have any other info on him? You may e-mail me direct if easier on s_j29570@hotmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by John Larder View Post
    Now found my file on W/C Walker. In 1940 he was on 613 Squadron at Firbeck. He was also on 9 Air AOP Course. I was in contact with Noel Gordon who was researching Firbeck and sent me three photos of W/C Walker. 613 Sq. photo at Firbeck, photo with Lady Ann & Lady Margaret Cavendish-Bentick in front of NAAFI van at Firbeck, 9 AOP Course.