Thread: Flying Officer Robert Samuel Dixon RCAF C2988 Killed Jan 11 1941 Grosse Isle Winnipeg

Thanks

Default Flying Officer Robert Samuel Dixon RCAF C2988 Killed Jan 11 1941 Grosse Isle Winnipeg

All just looking at his personal file, very interesting as he served in China Air Force twice per-war

He was killed Jan 11 1941 in a Cessna on Ferry from Manufacturers along with Civilian Aero-Mechanic Stanley St. Elois Muddeman and Cessna employee Leo Frank Malatka, of Wichita, Kansas

Here are news reports can anyone provide an Aircraft id? thanks

The Daily Mail 13 January 1941

A Royal Canadian Air Force pilot officer, a , civilian and a U. S. air-craft
    builder's representative died Saturday in the flaming wreckage of a
    new twin-motored American made airplane that crashed near Grosse Isle,
    18 miles north of Winnipeg. The machine, just delivered from the
    Cessna Aircraft Manufacturing Company, was, on a test run..
    The dead were Flying.. Officer .R. S. Dixon, of Vancouver, the pilot;
    S. Muddeman, 25, of Winnipeg, a maintenance employee at an R. C. A. F.
    depot here, and L. Malatka, Cessna* Company representative.

Flight Lieut. A. G. Goulding of the No.-2 Air Command at Winnipeg
    said only meagre details of the crash were known

The Winnipeg Tribune 14 January 1941

Funeral Thursday For Victim Of Crash The funeral service for
    Stanley St. Elois Muddeman, 25, of 810 Jubilee ave., civilian aero - engine mechanic
    who was one of three victims of the plane crash near Grosse Isle, Saturday afternoon,
    will be held Thursday at 2 p.m. in the Thomson chapel.
    The bodies of the other two victims, Flying Officer Robert Samuel Dixon, of Vancouver, B.C., a
    nd Air craftsman Leo Frank Malatka, of Wichita, Kansas, have been forwarded from the
    Thomson chapels to their respective homes, wher' funerals will be hold
    The service for AC Malntka will be held in Oakwood, Calif.

INQUEST DATE Inquest Into circumstances lead - ng to the fatal plane crash near Gross?
    Isle Saturday will be held in the provincial police court Wednesday at 5.15 p.m.,
    not Thursday as previously reported in The Tribune. Dr. H. M. Speechly,
    provincial coroner, will preside

The Winnipeg Tribune 16 January 1941

STANLEY MUDDEMAN
    Stanley St. Elois Muddeman, 25. of 810 Jubilee ave., civilian aero engine mechanic,
    connected with No. 8 repair equipment depot of the R.C.A.F., at Stevenson's Field,
    was buried today In Brookside cemetery. The young man was one of three victims of a
    plane crash near Grosse Isle, Saturday afternoon. Many former friends, including Boy
    Scouts with whom he .had been associated as a member of the 4th Winnipeg troop at St. Vital,
    attended the funeral service at 2 p.m., in the Thomson funeral chapel.
    R.C.A.F. non - commissioned officers and several associates at Stevenson t Field,
    also paid last respects. Rev. F. Hughes, of St. Alban's Anglican church, officiated
    at the funeral sen - Ire and pallbearers, all from R.C.A.F. depots. Included :
    Set. - Mal. A. W. Hardman, AC. Ce cil Bates, Flt - Sgt. J. W. Graham, LAC. Pacey and
    two civilian mechanics with whom he worked. Reg Turle and Jack Bryant

Open Verdict Returned In Grosse Isle Crash
    AN open verdict was returned to Dr. H. M. Speechly, provincial coroner,
    after an Inquest In provincial police court Wednesday evening into the death
    of three men killed In the crash of a military aeroplane near Grosse Isle at 12:45 pm.
    Saturday, Jan. 11. The jurors found the men met death In the crash, but unable to determine
    the cause of the accident The victims were Flying Officer R. S. Dixon, Vancouver;
    Stanley Muddeman, Winnipeg, aircraft mechanic, and Leo F. Malatka, representative of the
    Cessna Aircraft Co., Wichita, Kas.

Did Not Respond
    Three eyewitnesses said the aircraft appeared to make a complete roll, then bank, before diving
    to earth and destruction. It broke Into flames Immediately. One of these witnesses,
    J. F. , Warburton, Grosse Isle farmer, estimated the height of the aeroplane when
    It rolled at 500 feet. As it descended he noticed the rudders and elevators move,
    but the craft did not respond. Mr. Warburton immediately ordered' team hitched a
    nd ran to get bandages and dressing. When he and Charles P. Tarr, a neighbour,
    arrived at the aeroplane the were unable to get close for a time' because of the
    flames." One man had been thrown free, the other two were imprisoned In the wreckage. .

Ascertaining that all three were dead, Mr. Warburton called the R.C.M.P.
    Three parachutes were lying on the ground, clear of the plane.
    All were open, possibly due to the Impact but Constable Holbrook cut away
    parts of parachute harness from one of the bodies, which he did not Identify.
    The two bodies under the aeroplane were badly mangled.

Had Parachutes

Wilfred Foulds, working In a field on the farm of Roy Davidson,
    some little distance from the spot were the aeroplane landed,
    said he watched It as It flew over him. were It rolled over on Its
    back, righted Itself, banked, then went into a steep dive to the ground.
    Flight Lieut E. W. Martin, R.C.A.F, said the destroyed machine was a
    twin engined Cessna. He went to Grosse Isle before the bodies were removed.

Thanks

Hi Paul,

Cessna Crane Mk I 7662.Taken on strength of 2 Training Command 8.1.41. First Crane lost by RCAF. SOC and reduced to spares 25.2.41.
    Didn't know that Crane for RCAF was the first large order Cessna ever had!

regards Peter

Thanks

Peter

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Peter

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Hello! I just stumbled across this thread on this site while looking for information on my Great Grandfather's crash. My great grandfather was Leo Malatka, he was working there as a mechanic or observer for Cessna. I'm not sure of the ID of the Aircraft, but I have some newspaper clippings my Great Grandmother kept that could help.

Thanks

Hello Paul,

I found this Forum through researching my Great Great Uncle's history Robert Dixon. I was pleased to find this thread. Robert was also an Olympian ( athlete and coach) and also had a great life in the short time he was here. Sad i never met him but, i believe a Museum in
    Richmond B.C. has the archives of his history.

Thank You.