Thread: Sector recco's. Were they officially recognised as operational flights?

Thanks

Default Sector recco's. Were they officially recognised as operational flights?

Dear all,

I am seeking clarification on the official line regarding flights during WW2 that were recorded in ORB's as Sector recco's.

Was a sector recco considered as an operational flight?
    Most ORB's clearly differentiate between training/practice flights and operational patrols.

I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers
    Gerry

Thanks

Well I would say it was a non-operational flight. My interpretation is that a sector recce was usually flown by a new pilot on the airfield or by the whole sqn when they moved airfields/bases. The purpose was to familiarise the pilot with the local geography.

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve,

I have always thought the same.
    However, I have come across a few entries where the pilot involved had been with the squadron and aerodrome for some time which seems unusual.

Many thanks for your reply

Gerry

Thanks

Gerry.
    In the case where I researched a potential B of B Bar recipient having seen a couple of sector recce sorties in his log and assuming they were operational, the official line was that they were not, so despite joining a B of B Squadron and flying with them in the required time period he was not classified as a recipient......he only flew training sector recce sorties. What would have been the case if he had engaged in combat whilst conducting a sector sortie and destroyed an enemy aircraft..........we are always amongs grey areas !

Thanks

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply.
    There are numerous airmen that flew sector recces during the required period that failed to receive the clasp.
    There are many more that flew training flights but these are usually clearly identified as training flights.

When you mention 'the official line' am I correct in thinking that Air Historical made the final decision?

Cheers
    Gerry