Thread: James Neve DFC

Thanks

Default James Neve DFC

My father, James Arthur Neve, was a navigator in 109 Pathfinder Squadron, flying in Mosquitoes. This was in 1945. His pilot was John McIntosh DFC and Bar. (possibly spelt MacIntosh?). They were based at Little Staughton.
    I would be fascinated to find out about anyone who was in that squadron at the same time or at Little Staughton in any capacity. I realise it is now most likely to be a relative or someone who has researched that place or squadron.

Prior to being in 109, my father was in 51 Squadron based at Snaith where he was navigating on Halifaxes. This was in 1943. His crew are listed as pilot Tom Bishop, bomb aimer K Isaacs, wireless op Johnnie Boulter, engineer Chas Wales, mid upper gunner Alf Holder (apparently lost on 2nd tour) and rear gunner Bert Turnham.
    Again, it would be very interesting to learn more about any of these people or about life at Snaith.

I have my father's Log Book which lists his flights and missions and would be happy to share the information with anyone researching these squadrons.
    My father died in March 2006 and it is only now, with my mother moving into a care home, that I have rediscovered his log book and become intrigued about his wartime history.

Thanks

Hi Jamie,
    Welcome to the Forum.

Are you aware of the book "Beam Bombers" by Michael Cumming, published by Sutton Publishing in 1998.

This has a piece about the last Oboe-controlled bombing of the War on 3rd May 45, which your Father nearly conducted, but dropped the 4000 lb Cookie on dead reckoning due to a malfunction. They were however the last crew home from a bombing mission on 109 Sqn.
    The book also has a rather small squadron photo dated May 45 which features your Father and McIntosh, and yes your spelling is correct apparently.
    Hope you find more, Peter

Thanks

Hi Jamie
    I have lots of information on 109 Squadron. Email me at the address on my profile.
    Regards
    Dave Wallace

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeterColwill View Post
    Hi Jamie,
    Welcome to the Forum.

Are you aware of the book "Beam Bombers" by Michael Cumming, published by Sutton Publishing in 1998.

This has a piece about the last Oboe-controlled bombing of the War on 3rd May 45, which your Father nearly conducted, but dropped the 4000 lb Cookie on dead reckoning due to a malfunction. They were however the last crew home from a bombing mission on 109 Sqn.
    The book also has a rather small squadron photo dated May 45 which features your Father and McIntosh, and yes your spelling is correct apparently.
    Hope you find more, Peter
    Thank you very much for that info, Peter. It matches up to my father's log book entry, although he dates it as '2 May', and he added at a later date it was the last operation and that only 16 Mossies took part. As he added this comment much later I'm not sure how accurate his memory was. I'm just getting into the ORB material so it will be interesting to see how all the info comes together.
    I'll check that book too. My father had many on his bookshelves but can't see this one so far. Your help is greatly appreciated.