Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1950s code names Bomber Command

Thanks

Default 1950s code names Bomber Command

Hi
    I am getting through some operations of a bomber squadron in 1950s, and I am confused at times. Here are some questions. Thanks in advance.
    What is the difference between Exercise Bullseye and Bullseye Command Exercise?
    What is the difference between Offset Bombing and Radar Bombing? Backchat - was it the code for the latter?
    High Level Bombing - was there any altitude established, that constituted high altitude?
    Special Bombing - was it a name of particular type of bombing, or just any extraordinary type of bombing?
    What is Station Exercise? It would seem a defense of station, so was the aerial part, an immediate evacuation of aircraft?
    Cruise Control - seems a mission to test flight endurance, correct?
    Continuation Training - what is it?
    Compass Swing - well, I know it as a ground adjustment procedure, but was it mean in reference of aerial operations? Just an air test?
    Operation Beehive - what was it? I have it a long range cross country, but what was the purpose?
    Operation Pinnacle - simulated attack on the UK, correct?
    Exercise Bait - any idea?

Thanks

Hi Franek,

I will try to answer few questions, some answers I got here on this forum some years ago:

Exercise Bullseye, raid on a target over ‘enemy territory’ where for the target pose a major city on the British Isles. During Command Bullseye aircraft from several training units participated and on the way to the target, which was more distant, formation flying was practiced. This info I had for WWII period, in post-war period Bullseye was also used for practice training on Helgoland used as Bombing Range by RAF and USAF.

Radar Bombing = Backchat

Continuation Training - as in the ORBs I found this for the complete crews on bombers as well as for the pilots only on Tiger Moth or Oxford for example I suppose it was practice flying for pilots to keep them fit

Cruise Control - yes I think you might be correct, I would expect fuel consumption test was done during this flight

Operation Pinnacle - simulated attack on the UK, check of UK's defence, 29.9.-9.10.51.

In my own research I found very useful to check the Flight archive to get details about some exercises in the 50s.

HTH

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Franek/Pavel,

During my time in Bomber Command in the early 50’s there were very few Station Exercises as such – that is generated by the Station. There were a number of exercises in which one, or more, Stations took part but these were organised and directed either by Group HQs, or by Bomber Command HQ. There were, as you say, a number of Station Defence Exercises which could be purely local affairs. Then there were exercises where the aircraft were dispersed to distant airfields. This was mainly the V-Force and mostly went under the name Ex MICKEY FINN (if you Google that, or ‘V-Force dispersal’, you will get the airfields involved and lots of facts and figures). And then there were those exercises (can’t remember the names) where all the aircraft on a Station were tasked with flying a very large number of missions continuously over many days. The object of these was to find out which bits (aircraft, organisation, or crews) of the system broke down first! I was then on a Station with three big Sqns of Canberras. In the Met Office we never seemed to stop briefing – or debriefing – crews! And if it was all going too well the Exercise Umpires would inject some problem – failure of part of the camp water-/electricity- supplies, or a large civilian “demonstration” that made the Main Gate unusable!! All came in very useful when I was an Umpire later in my career!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi
    Thanks for replies.
    Pavel, I am not sure of Bullseye. Papers clearly mention bombs being used, say one 1,000 lbs bomb. So I think they raided some ranges, unless their hit ratio was so poor they could never manage to hit the target. ;)
    Have not thought of the Flight as a source on exercises.
    Peter
    I think it is move out under enemy raid, as there is no prolonged activity. Need to check, how many aircraft participated at once.
    Found another code name - Ombrella?!

Thanks

Franek,
    Exercise Ombrelle - international defence exercise of NATO countries in Europe in 1951 I think, again check the Flight.

Bullseye - yes Franek in this case it was a practise bombing held on Helgoland island - till 1951 it was depopulated and uses as a practice bombing range what was several times assaulted by the former German residents.

Your are anow researching the same period as I was in winter:)

Pavel

Thanks

Thanks!
    Different squadron. ;)

Thanks

I am afraid, there is nothing in the Flight on Bait and Beehive. Very nice piece on Pinnacle though. Any other comments and suggestions, please?

Thanks

Hi Franek, first hits from Mr. Google for Exercise Beehive:

http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPD...20-%201918.PDF
    http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205163089

HTH

Pavel

Thanks

This is Beehive II. I am looking for Beehive I, run mid-August 1951.

Thanks

Sorry Franek, it was not clear from the original post. So what about this:

http://www.aviationinmalta.com/Milit...S/Default.aspx

Pavel