Thread: 467/463 (RAAF) Squadrons

Thanks

Default 467/463 (RAAF) Squadrons

I've a sneaky feeling I've asked this question before, but darned if I can find it.

There used to be a very good website for 467 and 463 (RAAF) Squadrons which included their ORBs at http://www.467463raafsquadrons.com/ . Unfortunately it seems to have disappeared although the link is posted many times elsewhere. I'm wondering if the ORBs are still accessible via another link - any advice would be much appreciated.

Brian

Thanks

Brian,

I found these today on the National Archives of Australia website http://www.naa.gov.au

Search for the squadron, and in the results is a "squadron history" result. You can scroll though scans of the ORB page by page.

Beware though that the 467 ORB is back to front. 1945 at the front, 1942 at the beginning.

cheers,

Adam

Thanks

Hello

Brian, I experienced the same trouble last year, and was helped (probably here...) to recover this access :

This link should be working : https://web.archive.org/web/20110906...bsTimeLine.htm

Joss

Thanks

The old 463-467 Squadron website was run by Peter Johnson, son of Max Johnson, a Waddington skipper. He has unfortunately had a rather bad falling out with other members of his family since his father's death and has not answered emails for some time. The website domain expired (ironically enough) on Remembrance Day last year. I wasn't aware that there was a web archive of it still available though - thanks Joss.

Adam

Thanks

Hello Adam,

I have been in touch with Peter also, many years ago. I know that he had met some troubles with the family of another 463/467 Squadron members, and that he had to pull down his website many years ago. He then made it public again, but I wasn't aware of his recent problems. Too bad.

Hope you're fine downunder.

Joss

Thanks

Hello Adam,

I have been in touch with Peter also, many years ago. I know that he had met some troubles with the family of another 463/467 Squadron members, and that he had to pull down his website many years ago. He then made it public again, but I wasn't aware of his recent problems. Too bad.

Hope you're fine downunder.

Joss

Thanks

Thank you all for your responses and the explanation for the disappearance of the website. I had not thought of the NAA as a source, but Joss has provided the actual source I was seeking.

As a matter of interest, Adam (adafor), have you used this approach for other squadrons? I only ask as I'm sure other forumites would appreciate this on-line source as being easier to access than the National Archives at Kew - although I appreciate it would probably only be applicable for RAAF squadrons.

Brian

Thanks

Brian,

my main area of research is 488(NZ) Squadron, but have gone off on a bit of a tangent researching a friend's great uncle who served with 463 (see my thread from yesterday). I stumbled across the NAA site by accident, but at first glance it appears that they have scanned and shared quite a lot of historical RAAF data. A gem of a find, and hopefully of use to other RAAF researchers.

If only the NA would follow suit. Since I purchased the ORB for 488 I have heard stories of quotes in the region of hundreds of pounds for scans of large documents....

Adam

Thanks

Default National Archives of Australia as a possible source of ORBs

Many thanks, Adam. As you say, a gem of a find and I'm sure other forumites will be more than interested in this source - hence the flag I've raised with the title.

Brian