Thread: F/Sgt James Victor Agate RCAF R121039 428Sqdn. German nightfighter advice please?

Thanks

Default F/Sgt James Victor Agate RCAF R121039 428Sqdn. German nightfighter advice please?

My first post! I have been researching a friend of my late mothers, F/Sgt James Victor Agate RCAF R121039 ("Vic") Vic was a navigator with 428 Sqdn based at RAF Dalton and was killed on the night of 28/29th April 1943 flying in Wellington Mk X HE728 mine-laying off the Frisian Islands. I have researched Vic as far as possible from this side, I have his Canadian service files and the squadron ORB's. I would really like to see if I can find out what actually happened to his aircraft. The ORB for the night in question states that six Wellingtons went on the op and the entry for Vic's says "T/O 20.57 Nothing has been heard from this aircraft or it's crew since the time of take off"

There is an identical entry for another of the Wellingtons so two of the six were lost.

I guess I need to see if anything exists from German records but have no knowledge as to how to go about this but I have been advised that there are members on here who do! I have always assumed being largely over water that they would have been shot down by a nightfighter, so records would have been kept? I understand German records can be patchy compared to Allied ones? Also I have now read that aircraft would often get a fix on a landmark on the islands and then use dead reckoning to fly to the mine-laying point and that there were extensive flak batteries in the islands and possibly flak ships?

Any help, advice, or pointers will be gratefully received!

Many thanks

Tim

Thanks

I cant see a Luftwaffe night fighter claim that matches this loss. I'd suspect either a claim from a flak ship, shore based flak or otherwise possibly engine failure ? One of the crew was washed up on the North German coast and is buried in Sage War Cemetery. Peter

Thanks

Hi Tim,

No night fighter claim for 28-29.4.43 can be tied to the loss of HE728 and regrettably I have no details of the Flak claims for this night. Perhaps other members can fill this in?

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Peter, Theo, many thanks for your replies, much appreciated! I have taken the liberty of sending each of you a pm if that's OK! Best regards. Tim

Thanks

Hmmm im not sure if this will work, but here is the death certificate of Victor James Agate, i have all his medals also , with a rubbing of his grave

the frame was made with wood from the old post office in Edmonton

please get in touch with me
    Last edited by Robagate; 14th November 2018 at 06:20. Reason: needed to ad more