Thread: Vampire Crash Carew Cheriton 31/10/1951.

Thanks

Default Vampire Crash Carew Cheriton 31/10/1951.

Hello,

Can anyone help with any information about the Vampire Mk5 crash at the former RAF Carew Cheriton airfield on 31/10/51. The only info I have is that the aircraft belly landed and was piloted by a Sgt. Carmichael.

Regards

Deric.

Thanks

I have checked my own records and also James Halley's "Broken Wings". The aircraft is mentioned in neither and this suggests that it was not written off as a direct consequence of the accident.

Perhaps the quickest and easiest way to determine the serial number, unit and basic info about the accident, is to contact DORIS at the RAF Museum Hendon and ask if a quick look could be made at the RAF Form 1180 for Vampires on 31 Oct 51.

I can get you a couple of Vampires around the date you state, both of which appear to be 'sans' wheels but neither is at Carew Cheriton - lovely name for an airfield, beats Holme on Spalding Moor anyday!!!!!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Vampire FB 5 VZ128:0-52 No.202 AFS, RAF Valley, 31 October 1951.
    Pilot became lost due to faulty navigation and radio; belly landed on disused airfield at Carew Cheriton. Sgt Carmichael.
    Cat 3R/ROS/34MU 2 Nov 1951 - 3 Dec 1951 and RTU

IHTH

DW

Thanks

Dave & Colin,

My sincere thanks for your replies. It is nice to complete the aircraft details and unit which did not appear in the local newspaper report at the time. your information will be added to the history of RAF Carew Cheriton for the Parish records.

Regards
    Deric.