Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Log Books

Thanks

Default RAF Log Books

Hi All

I've just been sent the log books for an officer who eventually reached the rank of A/Cdre but am a bit surprised.

There are no entries whatsoever for his training at 5 FTS, the School of Air Nav or the Seaplane Training Sqn in 1935/6, his first entries begin when he joins his first operational squadron, where training flights recorded differently?

Similarly he does not record any flights whilst attending a refresher flying course at South Cerney prior to a posting to the USA, would this be recorded separately?

He has also recorded flights in a number of Ansons whilst serving at No 117 MU (Port Sudan) which according to A-B went straight to RAAF, RNZAF or SAAF. Could these have been shipped to Takoradi, flown across Africa to Port Sudan and then dismantled again for onward shipment?

Any thoughts?

Al the best

Malcolm

Thanks

Malcolm. I have known cases where logs have stopped after full training and another commenced with an operational posting however these are in the main rarely seen. Your case is an odd one appearing as if he desired to not record training which is not possible to do, I suspect you may possibly have a 'second log' or a personal log which he has chosed to record his operational duties within. This is not uncommon to see and frequently exploited when found with the full original............has the log signatures, stamps and endorsements.......if not then an obvious second log. Colin.

Thanks

Hi Colin

The logs are definitely genuine there are indeed two the first records his qualification as a first pilot (day) on landplanes on 3 Dec 1936 at No 5 FTS but only starts on 1 Dec 1936 when he makes his first flight with 210 Sqn. This book ends on 15 Oct 1947 when he was a Wg Cdr at AHQ BAFO but the log book is not full and a second log book begins on 5 Oct 1949 when he is the Chief Technical Officer at the RAF Flying College but only takes up a single page.

The first one has all his official assessment sheets and endorsements.

Malcolm

Thanks

Malcolm, I have seen similar logs. One veteran pilot who trained at Cranwell from India had a 'narrow' logbook for his time training in Cranwell and the regular sized logbook once he started flying with a regular squadron. additionally two other pilots had logbooks starting with their posting to a squadron. the training details are missing..(and I had assumed they recorded that in similar smaller logbooks).. all these three veterans were from the 1938-40 timeframe.

Thanks

Malcolm,
    There must be an earlier log book. The first one you possess should have, on the very first line, a summary of the previous log book, that is details "carried forward" from the first. A pupil pilot would not be permitted to train without being issued with a flying log book and this would be countersigned monthly by his flight commander and squadron (or school) commander. I am not certain when the earlier 'narrow' log books were superseded by the familiar 'wide' books, but probably about mid-1930s when multi-engine aircraft became much more important, as well as providing additional columns for instrument and cloud, as well as passenger flying, etc. It is possible that the earlier type of log book would suffice for training up to 'wings' standard, but moving onto twins could have been the trigger for introducing the 'wide' book.
    David D
    Last edited by David Duxbury; 14th June 2014 at 23:09. Reason: spelling correction

Thanks

Malcolm,
    I am surprised to see that some Ansons were allegedly flown from Port Sudan, then were immediately transferred to SAAF, RAAF, RNZAF, etc. I suspect that these serials are in error; could you please provide examples for dissection and close examination? I know of certain Oxfords sent to Rhodesia and (I think) SOuth Africa with genuine RNZAF serial numbers, although these were painted on in the factory, but the aircraft were then diverted; after a period their original RAF serials (or new serials in case of SAAF) were applied. So far as I know, all RNZAF Ansons were shipped directly from the UK.
    David D

Thanks

Hi David

As well as RAAF etc there were also ones supposedly delivered to RCAF. I initially thought about transcription errors but the more I checked it was almost everyone which seemed strange.

Here is the list and the service or unit it went to

AW692 - RCAF
    AW704 - was actually in a black-out block
    AW444 - RCAF
    AW742 - RCAF
    AW782 - RCAF
    AW574 - black-out block
    AW307 - was allocated to a Beaufort
    DG146 - black-out block
    DG433 - not allocated
    DG703 - RNZAF
    DG901 - RAAF
    DG789 - black-out block
    DJ289 (written as DS289) - SAAF lost at sea
    DJ784 - allocated to unbuilt Horsas
    DG398 - 1663 CU
    DG708 - SAAF
    DJ509 - 2 OAFU

There were three others but they were allocated to units that could have sent them to 117 MU for servicing

Malcolm

Thanks

AW692 was in Canada by September 1941. When does it first show up in this log book? At least some of the ex RAF Ansons arrived in Canada with considerable logged time.

Thanks

Malcolm,
    Roughly what was the period that these Ansons were flown with 117 MU, Port Sudan? It might be possible to refute some of these apparently very dodgey serial numbers. All the NZ Ansons were shipped directly from the UK. I am also somewhat mystified as to why these aircraft were even at Port Sudan, although obviously the actual time frame may answer some of these questions. Although no doubt some Ansons were present in the Middle East, I imagine that these would be used predominantly for communications duties (with perhaps some involved in the training organisation in Egypt, such as various METS's, etc), although in the very early days perhaps some MAY have been involved in coastal protection and anti-sub duties. The time period is critical of course.
    David D

Thanks

The flight dates are as follows

AW692 - 6 Jan 1942
    AW704 - 17 Mar 1942
    AW444 - 21 Apr 1944
    AW742 - 19, 21 Aug 1942
    AW782 - 11 May 1942
    AW574 - 3, 7, 14, 21, 30 Sep 1942
    AW307 - 10 Sep 1944 at 103 MU
    DG146 - 3, 5 Mar 1942
    DG433 - 3 Apr 1942
    DG703 - 17 Mar 1942, 6 Apr 1942
    DG901 - 22 Apr 1942
    DG789 - 4 May 1942
    DJ289 (written as DS289) - 11 Jun 1942
    DJ784 - 25 Jun 1942
    DG398 - 25 Aug 1942
    DG708 - 15 Sep 1942
    DJ509 - 16, 22, 27, Oct 1942, 3 Nov 1942

All of the flights were from Port Sudan and return and he was a technical officer (ex GD) serving at 117 MU

Malcolm