Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help understanding Grandfathers Service Record

Thanks

Default Help understanding Grandfathers Service Record

Hi everyone, me again.

This morning my Grandfathers RAF Service Record arrived in the post and I'm ecstatic ! Wahey !

Unfortunately the cover letter says they've attached an Abbreviation list but they may have forgotten as it's missing.

This is the first time I've read an RAF Service Record so I'm a little stuck. It's only 4 A3 pages. Is this normal?

His trade is ACH which is crossed out, replaced by Wireless Operator dated Nov 41. His Flying Logs say he was Navigator.
    Current Engagement - What is DPE?

I have so many question? Can someone help please?

Thank you
    Sam

Thanks

Hi Sam

I suspect he was commissioned at some point as you probably two sheets for his airman service (light brown coloured) and two sheets for his officer records (white), this is all you get.

ACH = Aircrafthand, this is the basic unskilled trade entry level. Once he had completed his training he would be remustered to that trade, in his case WOp.

DPE = Duration of Present Emergency ie for the duration of the war

All the best

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks Malcom

You are spot on. I have 2 yellow/brown colour printed A3 pages and 2 white photocopied pages. Thanks for explaining what they are.
    His DPE enlistment and services commences dates are both 28/02/40.
    Surely I can find an abbreviation list online somewhere.

Im trying to piece this all together to create a story of his service.

I have many more questions. If you can help let me know.
    Thankyou
    Sam

Thanks

Sam

If you would like to e-mail a copy I will be happy to try to decipher them for you. I think my e-mail address is in my profile but if not you can use the Contact Page on one of the websites mentioned in my signature below I will get back to you.

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 14th June 2014 at 16:23.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

If we can have a Name and/or Service Numbers the we can sort him out!!! Just list any acronyms. If we don't know then we will likely know who does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Pete T and Peter Davies

Pete T - I think we've been in touch before re 102 Squadron. Ill check your profile, confirm it and email you.

Peter Davies - A few I've come across are AEBR, ACSB, F58. Can I upload pictures of the pages on here and everyone can put their opinions in of everyone's vast experience?
    My Grandfathers name is Norman A.Quick. Enlisted as 916446. Commissioned as 130698. His page one enlistment trade is ACH, crossed out replaced with W/Op which is also crossed out but next bit is hard to read. His flying logs show him as Navigator.

Thanks
    Sam
    Last edited by Sam_martin82; 14th June 2014 at 16:31.

Thanks

Hello

ACSB stands for Aircrew Selection Board, which is self-explanatory.

ACH was clearly explained by Malcolm in post #2. Your grandfather must have initially been mustered as a Wireless operator, and later remustered as a Navigator. Navigators were previously known as observers, before the function was split in two, navigators and bomb aimers (also known as air bombers).

Good luck in your research and don't hesitate to post and ask questions.

Regards

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Joss

Thanks for posting. I only have 2 photographs of my Grandfather in uniform. He is wearing the O brevet. I understand he gained that before April. 1942 when they changed it to the N brevet. I hear many men were unwilling to give up the O for the N.

I asked about ACSB as there are a few lines which say - Recommended by the ACSB of Yatesbury(or similar) for training as Airman Pilot. F58 medically fit for pilot. 2/1/41.

The only mention I can find re medals is on his commissioned papers which say Authorised to wear ribbon - 1939-1945 Star with a POR No and 102 Squadron.

Thanks
    Sam

Thanks

ACSB is actually Aviation Candidate Selection Board not Air Crew, what number was it, there wasn't one at Yatesbury?

If he trained as a WOp and then a Navigator he may have become a Navigator/Radar Operator

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm

It says - Miscellaneous. No1 Selection Board Not Accepted, Aircraft Crew 28/2/40 with a stamp National Registration Identification Card Sent By.......rest unreadable. AEBR 24/2. 28/3/40. Recommended by the ACSB of Yatesbury for training as Airman Pilot. F58 medically fit for pilot 2/1/41.