Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with BC Clasp application

Thanks

Default Help with BC Clasp application

Hello, my cousin and I are trying to make an application for the above for her dad(F/S N Fairhurst 625 Sq). Passes away Sept 2011. MOD have rejected twice. Have tried to look through his recored with OTU(11/16)dates and Base 71/73 dates.Do the dates in OTU constitute BC service.He trained in Canada(Monckton) and was shot down over Stavelot,Belgium.(Still have telegram sent to our grandparents and Caterpillar broch).But MOD Medal Office say he has not met criteria. Very disappointing and possibly wrong.They are not contactable by phone.Any help /similar experiences?

Thanks

Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum

According to the eligibility criteria he needed to have undertaken at least one sortie with an operational unit.

An OTU and 71/73 Base were not operational units, they were training units within Bomber Command.

Malcolm

Thanks

Norman Fairhurst #1522904 : Sergeant : Lancaster I PD204 of 625 Squadron, 10-Apr-1945 / 11-Apr-1945. Crew

Get a copy of the ORB for 625 Sqn to see how many sorties he on but to me he looks like he qualifies as 625 Sqn Operation Sqn

Thanks

Thanks Malcolm, much appreciated Steve

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_raf View Post
    Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum

According to the eligibility criteria he needed to have undertaken at least one sortie with an operational unit.

An OTU and 71/73 Base were not operational units, they were training units within Bomber Command.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi,would they count as part of his membership of "the aircrew of BC who served at least 60 days" and as Paul indicated also needed to fly at least one operational sortie . The MOD are saying his total cumulative service of 31 days.

Thanks

Thanks for this Paul, where can I get a copy of the ORB for 625 Sq, Steve

Thanks

Yes that is him..and the dates ?..were those when he was missing?, his records are not clear and I can't make it out when he went MIA from the telegram to our grandparents.. presume is PD204 the aircraft....thanks again

Thanks

Hello Steve,

I have this on the loss of Lancaster PD204, probably from Chorley's Bomber Command Losses, but I didn't note the source originally.

10/11 April 44. Target: Plauen. Pilot, F/Off J. F. Mooney RCAF and crew took off from Kelstern at 18:35 hours to attack the railway yards.
    Bombed from 10,000 ft at 23:09 hours and soon afterwards three engines failed, one after the other. Flak, too, hit the aircraft which was abandoned
    at 01:20 hours in the vicinity of Bierset some 8 km WNW of the center of Liege. No serious injuries reported.
    Pilot, F/Off J. F. Mooney RCAF
    Flight Engineer, F/Off D. Rutherford
    Navigator, Sgt R. K. Colman
    Air Bomber, F/Off H. H. Harding RCAF
    Wireless Operator, Sgt Fairhurst
    Mid Upper Gunner, Sgt R. A. Skinner
    Rear Gunner, Sgt W. A. Trundle

Thanks

ORB info can be downloaded here

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...48&image1.y=11

3.30 per file

Thanks

Thank you so much for this Wayne..detail that we never new...hope the MOD can be persuaded by the "facts"