Thread: Martinet MS529 Crash 31/8/44 - 595 squadron

Thanks

Default Martinet MS529 Crash 31/8/44 - 595 squadron

Hello,

Martinet MS529 crashed on 31/8/44 at Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire killing the pilot F/S. McMillan. Can anyone confirm if the aircraft was stationed at RAF Carew Cheriton at the time or RAF Aberporth.

I am also looking for help with serial numbers and references to Martinets flying from Carew Cheriton; possibly with 595 squadron.

Regards

Deric Brock.

Thanks

Hi Deric .

not sure if this helps but here goes , the unit ORB states the Unit were at RAF ABERPORTH on this date , but the ORB also states the following on the 30/8/44 F/L Lacie ( hard to read ), Officially handed over Buildings etc that were being used by C Flt of 595 Sqd to No 10 Radio School .

the crash on the 31/8/44 Notes that the A/c was taking part in a Co-op sortie with 61 AA Brigade at Milford haven .

not much but hope it proved useful .

rgs Phill Jones

Thanks

Hello Deric,

Further to Phill's excellent response the detachment at Carew started to disperse on or around the 20th August with Martinets transferring to Manorbier; on the 24th F/O Rainbird took over command of 'C' Flt at Manorbier with the remaining men and aircraft re-joining the parent Squadron at Aberporth. Sgt McKee (Spl?) was left, with a small ground party, at Carew to tidy up. This effort was overseen by Flt/Lt Lucie who visited the station once a day. As Phill states the buildings at Carew were formally handed over on the 30th by Flt/Lt Lucie.

Please feel free to drop me an e-mail as would like to assist with the Martinet information and it would be good to get back in touch.

Kind regards,

Tim

Thanks

Phil & Tim,

Thank you for this excellent information. An airman who was stationed at Carew Cheriton in 1944 told me during a visit to the restored control tower that he remembers a Martinet From CC crashing at Milford Haven. However, I have failed to find any written record to confirm this.

Regards

Deric.

Thanks

Hello Deric,

Could this be a contender, 'C' Flight would have been operating out of Carew and the Martinets had started to replace the aging Henley's. Perhaps worth further investigation, my notes detailed below:

PW968 Miles A/c 1690 / C 23 (c) Mercury XXX 20.06.44 595 Sqn, Aberporth; 29.06.44 Flying Accident Cat E damage, 595 Sqn, Aberporth aircrafts engine cut at 700 due to fuel starvation and pilot made forced landing in field near Johnston, Pembs. Fuel gauge faulty as reading 10 gallons when empty. Pilot Sergeant GERRY, L.R.G. (1599504) Slightly Injured. Accident time 15.50, Duty A-A Co-operation. Martinet I PW968 with Sgt Gerry as pilot forced landed in a field at Johnston near Haverfordwest with engine failure and was slightly injured due to the pilots seat breaking away from the securing brackets; 18.07.44 S.O.C.

Regards,

Tim

Thanks

Tim,

Thanks again! yes, this could be a possibility. As I mentioned, Martinet aircraft are proving a problem, my Dad remembers them flying from CC.

Let me have your e-mail address and I will up-date you on Carew.

Regards
    Deric.
    dericbrock@btinternet.com