Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Service Record Thread

Thanks

Default Service Record Thread

A dedicated thread for people to add their relatives records or for queries regarding Service Records, hopefully it will keep all the info in one place.

Rgds

Pete.

Posting these on behalf of Sam for any comments.

Last edited by pete102; 18th June 2014 at 19:29.

Thanks

Good idea Pete, I amde the threat sticky to keep it on the top like the Abbreviation Reference.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks

Thankyou very much Pete for posting and Pavel for making it a sticky.

These are photographs of my Grandfathers RAF Service Record. I am absolutely fascinated and intrigued by it. I've had a couple of members ask and answer questions on another thread.

I'd love to hear other members questions and interpretations of the photographs.

One question I'm trying to answer is which medals my Grandfather was either entitled to or awarded as no medals exist within the family. We don't know what he had, if any and what happened to them.

If any member has any questions about this Service Record or if they'd like to upload their own relatives record please feel free to upload and ask away? There are plenty of experienced members here.
    Thanks guys and photos luck.
    Sam
    Last edited by Sam_martin82; 19th June 2014 at 07:37. Reason: Mistake

Thanks

My wife's grandad was in the RAF as an Equipment Assistant - I'm guessing that's basically a stores man? - but one of his assignments was to Iceland:

Dep.
    P.O.R.
    Unit
    From
    Unit
    To
    Reason Date P.O.R.
    Confirming
    Arrival
    (Inferred rank)
    50/44 [Redeployed?] Iceland 19/01/43 LAC (until 30/12/42)
    Cpl (from 31/12/42)
    T/Cpl (from 01/06/43_
    21/44 HE [Home Embarkation] 05/03/44 T/Cpl

I'll post the image when I get a chance to scan it!

From what I can see, the possible Iceland squadrons are:
    RAF Kaldadarnes 269 Avro Anson I/Lockheed Hudson I & III April 1940 6 March 1943
    RAF Reykjavik 251 Lockheed Ventura I/ Lockheed Hudson III/
    Avro Anson I/Boeing Fortress II/Vickers Warwick I
    1 August 1941 30 October 1945
    RAF Reykjavik 330 Northrop N-3PB NOMAD/Catalina III 28 January 1943 12 July 1943
    RAF Reykjavik 190 Consolidated PBY Catalina IB 17 February 1943 October 1943

My questions...
    1. What is an Equipment Assistant?
    2. Is my research on possible iceland squadrons correct? Or have I missed something?
    3. Is there any way to narrow down the precise squadron/location he was with in Iceland (if it helps, I can get to the National Archives, just need to know what to look for!)

Thanks
    Steve

Thanks

Steve,
    As you have already guessed, the trade of Equipment Assistamt in WW2 was basically a storeman, althugh one with some heavy responsibilities with regard to His Majesty's property! These days they are known (derogatorily) in the RNZAF as "grocers"! They are officially "Suppliers".

Incidentally the abbreviation "HE" that you have included above does NOT indicate "Home Embarkation" (this apparently is included in an official list of abbreviation explanations, compiled by people who should know a whole lot better!); the correct full version is "Home Establishment", which indicates a return to the United Kingdom, and is always marked on records of service of people who are anywhere overseas, that is, NOT in the UK at the time. Thus the old saying, "Home's the caper!"
    David D

Thanks

Hi

If his records state 'Iceland' then was probably posted to HQ RAF Iceland. If was assigned to a unit (station or squadron) then his records would state that.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thank you, David and Malcolm for your replies. When I get a chance to scan them, I'll post more bits I'm not sure of!

Thanks

Looking at Sam's relatives service record photos, there seems to be a lot more info (7 different pages) than I was sent for Dad's service record as a Sgt and later W/O flight engineer. I only received 2 copies each of 2 records pages, plus an enlargement of one of the pages. I didn't get any of the more detailed records shown. Is it worth writing to the disclosures office again to ask if there may be any further records, or could it be there is just less to record as he wasn't commissioned?

Ros

Thanks

Hi Ros

Sam's relative obviously became an officer, hence why there are more records then you have. There were different forms for non commissioned airmen and commissioned officers so if your father wasn't commissioned then there won't be any more records to request.

Malcolm