Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Service Record Thread

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I recently requested the service record of my Grandfather LAC Sidney Douglas Heinzman and received a copy last week. I have been trying to interpret it and think I've got a lot of it sorted but there are still a few bits that I still can't work out and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on them.

Here is a link to an image of his record http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries...G?m=1427661020

This is what I think i've worked out so far:

• 2 RC 18-09-1942 arrived at the No.2 Recruit Centre, Reception unit RAF Cardington, Bedfordshire. (Recruits underwent approx 5 days of assessment and drill training)
    • 11 RC 28-09-1942 travelled to No.11 Recruit Centre, RAF Skegness, Lincolnshire. (Probably underwent basic training course)
    • No. 8 WRC? Squadron - 12-11-1942 8 -HH - posted as supernumerary but owned by Headquarters then posted to RAF Khormaksar, Aden?
    • 1 PDC - 10-02-1944 No.1 Personal Despatch Centre at RAF West Kirby, Cheshire, No.1 wing to Skegness
    • 247 GRP Azores 18-02-1944 Dispatched to No. 247 Group operations in the Azores, Portugal. Arrived in the city of Angra on the island of Terceira.
    • No. 5020 Airfield Construction Squadron
    • No. 5058 Squadron
    • HE 30-03-1946 - Home Embarkation
    • 9 PDC - 19-04-1946 No.9 Personnel Despatch Centre - Blackpool, UK
    • No.5003 Airfield Construction Squadron 19-04-1946.
    • SHQ Podington 18-09-1946 Station Head Quarters RAF Podington - Release

• 101 PDC 25-09-1946 - No.101 Personnel Despatch Centre - RAF Warton, Lancashire - Demobbed.

We know he was deployed to and spent time in North Africa but this doesnt seem clear on his service record. I assume he was deployed there on the 12.11.42 but we are really stuggling to read what is written for that date it appears to say 8 then something like WRS? Sqd then underneath it looks like Cheltenham but this doesn't seem to make much sense. No. 8 Sqd was based in Aden which could fit but we were hoping his record would shine more light on this part, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Tom Hutson

Thanks

Tom

I am wondering if the record is referring to one of the Works Squadrons (which were in place before the creation of the Airfield Construction Squadrons). Could you e-mail that section of the service record to me and I will see if I can decipher it for you. My e-mail address can be found by clicking on my name [top left hand corner]

Regards

Pete

Whoops: Just realised you had posted an image. I am pretty sure that reads 8 Works Squadron, Cheltenham
    Last edited by PeteT; 29th March 2015 at 21:45. Reason: Whoops!
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply! Yes you're right "Works" would certainly make sense!

I've had a quick look online and can't find any information about 8 Works Squadron. Its strange that there isn't anything written in his service record about where he was posted in North Africa, but it must have been in the gap in his service record between 1942 and 1944. I have some pictures from his time in Africa and he was also awarded the North Africa Star, so he was definitely posted there. Do you know where I could find any information about 8 Works Squadron or where they were posted during this time?

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

Tom

Thanks

Tom

I don't think he travelled overseas until his posting to the Azores. However, 5028 ACS were based in Algiers so that may account for the North Africa link.

Also, I am not sure what medal was given for service in the Azores (Europe Star? / Africa Star?) so that may be something to pursue as part of your research. The medal experts on here may be able to assist with that one

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 30th March 2015 at 12:23.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hi Pete,

Yes that could be true, I'll try and look further into the history of 5028 ACS, I've had a quick look but haven't come up with much yet.

He also received the Atlantic Star which I assume must be for his service in the Azores. We did always wonder why he received the Atlantic Star before we found out he was based there.

Thanks again,

Tom

Thanks

Tom,
    As noted on page 1 of this thread, please correct your interpretation of the abbreviation "H.E.", from "Home Embarkation" to "Home Establishment". There is a supposedly authorative web site operating somewhere which contains this faulty information. Does anybody know which website this is please?
    David D

Thanks

Hi David

It isn't a website, it's the actual abbreviation list sent out from Cranwell with all service records.

I have recently sent them a corrected list with dozens of amendments on it but as of yet not received a reply.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi, I'm new to the forum. So my apologies for asking this, but how would I obtain the service records for my grandfather, 1940 onwards, aircrew? One reason I have to ask is that my father, and the rest of the family have fallen out, and he is now getting older. Is there any way I can sort this out for my 70 year old father?

Grandfather= in RAF from at least 1940, aircrew, got conduct stripe, but also eventually broke down(i.e. LMF in his paybook-family lore)

Any help will be very much appreciated

Thanks

Hello,

This will take you were you need go, barring your grandmother still not being with us. If she is and you're on speaking terms the fee is excused. 30 quid is kind of steep and it does take some time. But to answer your questions it's the only way forward.

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...ervice-records

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Difficult, grandmother is alive, but unfortunately suffering from dementia. From your help though maybe might be able to figure it out.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply Dave

Best regards,

Russ