Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Service Record Thread

Thanks

Further to my previous message regarding the abbreviation list sent out by Cranwell, I thought I would update members on the progress on updating and correcting the list.

I received a reply from Cranwell stating that hey had nothing to do with compiling the list and that I should contact AHB, who produced the original, so I did.

AHB have replied today to say that they have never had anything at all to do this list but knew of it's existence and that the copy I sent them was the first one they had ever seen but also agreed that it contained a large number of errors as I had highlighted.

They have now returned it to Cranwell suggesting they may wish to correct the document, so I'll keep checking as I receive more records to see if they do it.

All the best

Malcolm

Thanks

Brilliant buck-passing! I commend it!!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone can help with deciphering, my grandfathers service record.

I am currently writing our family history story and looking to include his RAF career - i can work out that he first served in the Middle East in 202 and 204 groups - is there anyway to tell what squadron??

his career seems to get a bit confused from 1944 - he was in hospital for a period and the air gunnery school then finally into the MU..!!!

Mum said he never talked about his time on the aircraft only his time in Maintenance - driving aircraft parts across the desert

Any help would be greatly appreciated. - i have attached his record here - https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=file%2cpdf

Many thanks in advance
    Regards
    Malcolm

Thanks

Good day everyone!

Excellent source of information, am new to the 'researching records' of family members but after going through some photographs with the fam recently, my curiosity has gotten the better of me and now I'm researching... and stuck.

Most of the information I'm about to type here I got by way of forces war records website, hoping it's accurate but the details match the history I am aware of. What is the process to find an operations report or incident report of a given mission?

Your time is much appreciated,
    Intrepid

Thanks

Intrepid

Can you provide a bit more information (as per your "most of the information I'm about to type here I got by way of forces war records website") so that we understand who you are talking about, what their role was, where they were stationed etc; we may then be able to provide a few pointers and assist you with your research

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Thanks Pete, certainly!

First Name: Abe Isadore
    Initials: A I
    Surname: Gottlieb
    DOB: Circa 1920
    Nationality: British
    Date of Death: 06/06/1942
    Fate: Killed
    Incident Details: Crashed North Sea
    Incident Date: 06/06/1942
    Information: SON OF WOOLF GOTTLIEB, AND OF KATHERINE GOTTLIEB, OF CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA.
    Service Number: 777667
    Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Station: [RAF Waddington]
    Squadron: 44 Squadron ()
    Command: Bomber Command
    Aircraft Mark: I
    Aircraft Code: KM-F
    Aircraft Type: Lancaster
    Aircraft Serial: R5516

A couple things: His nationality would be South African, not British. None of my living relatives remember his exact date of birth, but my great grandparents are listed there correctly as his parents.

Cheers!
    Intrepid
    Last edited by bruce dennis; 26th September 2015 at 20:40. Reason: eliminating live links

Thanks

I would suggest the following actions which should enable you to find out more information :

Firstly, I would start a separate thread on this forum showing his name and unit in the title (as it is currently hidden in a more general thread about service records)

Secondly, I would try and get hold of a copy of his service record (but I am not sure if it is held in the UK or South Africa). If it is held in the UK you will need to follow the procedure at (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests...ervice-records)

Thirdly, I would download a copy of the No 44 Squadron's Operations Record Book for June 1942 (http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D8412156) to get more details about the crew he was flying with at the time of the loss (and then work backwards from there to try to find when he joined the squadron (This search would obviously be helped by having a copy of his service record as it will show his posting dates)

Finally, if you Google "Lancaster R5516" there are a few sites showing more details about the loss

I hope this is a useful start point for you

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hello

Pete's advices are sound, may be the mods could split up the thread and start a new one.

About nationality, as understood by the C.W.G.C. database, one of the primary source of the website you mentioned, it's about the service he belonged to. I understand he was a South African by birth, but he joined the Royal Air Force, and not the South African Air Force. In the latter case, the nationality would have shown as South African. I can't tell why, but he actually joined the R.A.F. and got a R.A.F. service number. There are many cases like this, many Canadians who crossed the Atlantic to join the R.A.F., some Australians and New-Zealanders, and a famous South African who joined the R.A.F. was "sailor" Malan.

Regards

Joss

Thanks

Cheers guys,

I'll follow that advice and thank you for the links - I'm going to check those out now!

Much appreciated :)
    Intrepid

Thanks

Default service records for Reginald A. Miller

Hi. I am just starting the process of trying to find information on a relative who served in the RAF during World War II. My dad's cousin, Reginald A. Miller, was from Wales and was killed in action during the war. I have found information about a Reginald A. Miller online, service number 123201, but would like to confirm it is the same person as my relative. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to do this? If I had a birth date for the Reginald Miller (123201) I found online I could match this up with the information I have from the birth records of my relative. Is the only way to do this to send away for his service record?

S. Pratt
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by pete102 View Post
    A dedicated thread for people to add their relatives records or for queries regarding Service Records, hopefully it will keep all the info in one place.

Rgds

Pete.

Posting these on behalf of Sam for any comments.