Thread: Middle East 'Special' Comms Sqn/Flt

Thanks

Default Middle East 'Special' Comms Sqn/Flt

Hello All,

I have been plotting the Met Office Roll of Honour locations on Google Earth. During the course of this I have accessed various internet sites. One such is RAFWEB. It tells me that there were in the Middle East (inter alia):-

Special Communication Sqn (19 Feb 1951 - 1 Sep 1952)
    Middle East Air Force Special Communication Flt (1 Sep 1952 - 1 Dec 1954).

Now I was in that neck of the woods at that time, and involved in one or two Nefarious Purposes Committee ‘exploits’!! Even lowly NSA Met Assistants, such as I, were aware of what was going on. But I never came across a “Spec Comms Sqn/Flt”. Does anybody know what was “Special” about these Comms Sqn/Flts? Or was it just a ‘cover’ to stop a number of quite reasonable postings being disestablished?!!

TIA

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Jagan; 20th June 2014 at 16:43.

Thanks

Hi Peter

The SCS was formed from the Special Transport Squadron which was in 205 Group for VIP transport and signals calibration, so I assume the SCS continued in this role

Malcolm

Thanks

Malcolm, Tks that!

It was just that when I was in that neck of the woods I had never heard of them, and we used to get some very strange coves arrive from UK and disappear into the bundoo with their pink landrovers! Aircraft also used to fly to some strange places!

The VIP transport bit of their task is OK, but the ‘signals calibration’ bit might hide a multitude of sins?!! Was not IRIS already in existence at this time? I can remember when the Air Tragickers (upstairs) required new underware when some gash Haystack trolling across the Med would suddenly say over the airwaves “This is IRIS”!!! Panic stations! Ho Ho!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!