Thread: 1st post - seeking DFC cit/rec 136449 Fl. Lt. J A Forde DFC, RAFVR, 35 Sqn PFF

Thanks

Default 1st post - seeking DFC cit/rec 136449 Fl. Lt. J A Forde DFC, RAFVR, 35 Sqn PFF

Hi. This is my first posting. Fl. Lt. John Forde was my wife's father. I have been plugging away at researching his wartime service in the RAF for my wife. He served as ground crew, then pilot training in Canada & UK, 466 Sqn (RAAF) 12 ops, 35 Sqn PFF 50 ops, and Transport Command India/Burma. I have service records, log book, ORB's etc and have a good picture of his service. However there are a few gaps I hope to plug.

This forum has been a mine of information, and I am very grateful to forum members for sharing so much of their knowledge. Even a chance reading of a posting about AIR 78 led to finding my wife's mother's WAAF service number and obtaining her service records. From there, the issue of two campaign medals that had never been applied for. Very special for my wife.

John Forde's DFC entry in the LG has no citation, apart from the standard "The King is graciously pleased....." Please would anyone be able to supply a copy of the citation, or a NA reference for the original recommendation, or ideally both. According to the 35 Sqn ORBs, the Forde crew flew as Deputy Master Bomber and Master bomber on a number of ops between July and October 1944

The LG entry was on 14/11/44, issue 36878, page 5205

I'd be grateful for any help on the DFC citation and/or recommendation.

David C
    Last edited by davecogs; 23rd June 2014 at 00:46. Reason: add LG ref

Thanks

No Air Ministry Bulletin text. Best bet is to find the original citation at UK National Archives, Kew. Most likely source is file AIR 2/8827. Back-up suggestion - AIR 2/8828. Caution: I recall these as being BIG files (possibly two volumes).

Thanks

Hugh,

Thank you very much for the information. I'll have to get someone to visit the NA for me (I'm in Perth, Australia).

David C

Thanks

David

I am in the process of putting together a history of 35 Squadron so I will see if I have anything in my archives regarding Forde and his crew. I know I haven't got the citation though.

Unfortunately my computer has crashed, so I can't access my research files at the moment but I will add it to my ever growing list of things to do when it is returned (hopefully this week)

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Pete

Thanks for the reply. I have popped into your 35 Sqn history site periodically as it progresses so am aware of your work. Also your tribute site to CA Butler - one of several tribute sites that have given me some guidance as I've plugged away at my research.

On the Forde crew I do have all the ops info from the ORBs and some info on most of the crew. But anything outside of this you may have would be much appreciated. Thanks.

David C