Thread: loss 115 Squadron Lancaster LL704 30-31 March 1944 Nürnberg Raid

Thanks

Default loss 115 Squadron Lancaster LL704 30-31 March 1944 Nürnberg Raid

Dear all,

I am looking for information regarding the loss of 115 Squadron Lancaster LL704 during the 30-31 March 1944 Nürnberg Raid. I have the crew details and the basic info from Chorley's 1944 volume re the cause of loss & crash location, but would like to have additional info especially with regard to the location where it was first attacked, in order to establish the (probable) claimant, and the time of loss (Bill Chorley quotes '02.40 hrs', but I'm not sure if this is correct). Does anyone have the ex PoW questionnaires for the seven man crew who were all taken prisoner of war?

Cheers and thanks, Theo

Thanks

I have looked at Middlebrook "The Nuremberg Raid" and he provides the following information.

The aircraft was the 86th shot down and a map puts its location as south of Stuttgart, which suggests that with 84 and 85 (which were north of the city) it was on route home. The route map also suggests that it was probably near a turning point.

Middlebrook also suggests that the loss was part due to night fighter and part due to flak. In researching the book, Middlebrook interviewed the aircraft's captain. The narrative in the book suggests that the aircraft had been hit by flak and fighter earlier in the sortie and was losing height for over 150 miles. With the aircraft more difficult to control, six crew baled out, one using the pilot's parachute because he could not find his own. The pilot then made a successful forced landing in a field.

Hope this helps.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hello Colin,

Many thanks for the extracts from Middlebrook's book on the Nürnberg raid, I have read these, but am now looking for additional details, especially on the area where they were engaged by a night fighter, hopefully the ex PoW questionnaires will provide these details!

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Theo,

If the pilot reported that his aircraft was losing height for 150 miles - given that's probably an approximation - can you track back along the route by that distance to give you any reasonable sense of where the aircraft was when it was attacked?

I realise that the suggestion that it was attacked from both air and ground does not give an indication as to the sequence of the attacks nor how much time and distance separated the first from the second attacks.

Middlebrook does give some details of who claimed which aircraft but I don't know whether that helps in your research by isolating claims by those who Middlebrook names against claims made for which Middlebrook offers no information.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Colin,

Yes that would be a way to determine a (probable/possible) claimant. BTW; in the research & writing of the Nachtjagd War Diaries 2nd edition, I have now positively matched almost all of the Bomber Command losses during the 30-31 March 44 Nürnberg raid to individual German night fighter claims, these will all be presented in detail in the NJWD 2nd ed.

Cheers, Theo