Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blenheim P4855 Crash Swaffham, Norfolk April 8, 1940 82 Sqn

Thanks

Default Blenheim P4855 Crash Swaffham, Norfolk April 8, 1940 82 Sqn

Still trying to ID the Pilot member of crew of this oee

Blenheim P4855 82 Sqn Blenheim IV, UX- ? T/O Watton and at approximately 1045 emerged from cloud, in a dive, and crashed near a dummy airfield at Hillborough, 5 miles South of Swaffham, Norfolk

Pilot Sgt Bennett managed to bale out. Sgt Ian Nairne Murdoch #580576 (Obs), Sgt George Chapman #580942 (Obs. U/T.) and AC2 John William Kempton #629791 (W. Op./Air Gnr.) all killed

Note: Ian Nairne Murdoch is only down as Ian Murdoch on CWGC but casualty report had his Ar 78 entry confirm Sgt Ian Nairne Murdoch #580576 - He was from Inverness

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Graham Warner - The Bristol Blenheim A Complete History, shows Bennett as the pilot

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin thanks for that but I would like to is Bennett. all sources say Just "Sgt Bennett" but provide no further details

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

I have tried without success to identify this pilot using the 82 Squadron ORB and Appendices, the 'Flight' Archive, etc. Have you obtained the Form 1180 Aircraft Accident Card from the RAF Museum for this incident ? As pilot his name should be on it, hopefully with his initials and/or service number.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Hello

As Martin tried, I had also tried No. 82 Squadron ORB and he's only mentioned as Sgt Bennett... May be searching the postings in or out could gives either initials or even better, a service number, but it's without any guarantee of success.

There's no accident report in the AIR 81 series at Kew either, so the form 1180 is a good option.

Joss

Thanks

To try to help with this one, yesterday I did some more searching.

First, I looked at CWGC registers from the date of the accident until the sqn moved overseas.

I then looked at Maton to see if there was a DFM/DFC to an 82 Sqn bod and then cross reffed that with Taverner and Carters tomes.

I looked at a two books dealing with Blenheims and Blenheim sqns but again drew a blank.

I agree that the Form 1180 is probably the last option unless - instead of the ORB/F540 - the Form 541 is available and can be searched backwards for sometime to see if anything comes up about Bennett. Of course the ORB might also have something more when Bennett first went to the sqn but I am assuming that to have been done.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi:

I have some details on this which I believe came from the F.1180. Pilot is given as Sgt J Bennett No.564534. The actual crash site is at Cockley Cley and we were able to locate the site and recover some pieces a few years ago. In case you are not aware of the circumstances of the accident, the pilot lost control in cloud due to "relaxing concentration", the aircraft became inverted, and the pilot, who was not wearing a seat harness, fell out through the cockpit hatch. The pilot was wearing a parachute and was able to use it, the other 3 crashed with the Blenheim in a vertical dive and were killed. A bizarre and tragic event I think you will agree. 100 up and on we go!
    Regs,
    BC

Thanks

Bob,

Great work ! He is Sgt. Joseph Bennett according to the London Gazette website. He was commissioned in September 1943.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

BC

Great For some reason I had eliminated 564534 Joseph BENNETT as a possible (he was with 101 Sqn in Oct 1939) but it was good to get the correct info!

Paul

Thanks

Hi there,

My father was Joseph Bennett and flew Blenheims. I have his log book in front of me and it bears the number 564534. There is no entry for 8 April 1940 but the previous day the entry states that he flew Blenheim IV P4855 from West Raynham to Watton. I see that one of the crew on 4 April was a Sgt Chapman but the crew is not mentioned for 7 April. The next entry in his log book is for 4 May. The entry on these pages refers to him being a member of B flight 82 Squadron. I'm happy to give whatever other information you may wish.
    John Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
    BC

Great For some reason I had eliminated 564534 Joseph BENNETT as a possible (he was with 101 Sqn in Oct 1939) but it was good to get the correct info!

Paul