Thread: DFC awarded to Brigadier Arthur Ernest “Scotty” Exon USAAF of the "Roswell Incident"

Thanks

Default DFC awarded to Brigadier Arthur Ernest “Scotty” Exon USAAF of the "Roswell Incident"

Not too sure if I can ask this question here?I have been looking at the story of Arthur Ernest “Scotty” Exon USAAF, who in 1947 was a Lt.-Colonel stationed at Wright Field at the time of the so-called “Roswell Incident”. During his WW2 career he was a fighter pilot with 64th Fighter Squadron, 57th Fighter Group, 12th Air Force, in the European Theatre. Amongst his many awards was the British DFC. Is there any way of finding out what he was awarded this for?Allan

Thanks

Major Arthur Ernest EXON 0-666988 USAAF. DFC award approved 21 August 1944. This info from the Carters .

It was the custom for the allies to nominate individuals for a limited number of reciprocal awards. The UK awards were usually merely recorded within the records as approved and did not contain a citation. However, there were a number of exceptions and the Carters show some of these. The main exception being where a foreign national was actually serving with a British unit and hence the manner of the award was more closely linked to how we did things.

In the case of Exon, it is probable that he was nominated through the USAAF system, with an appropriate recommendation and then his name submitted to the Brits as part of a consolidated list.

Colin Cummings
    Last edited by Oldduffer; 29th June 2014 at 10:15.

Thanks

Thank you Colin, most informative. It was probably a reciprocal award for Italy then. As commander of the 64th (Black Scorpions) squadron, he flew there mid1943 through until during a mission over Cecina, in April 1944, his aircraft was severely damaged by an exploding ammunition depot and he was forced to bail out. Captured by the Germans, he remained a prisoner of war until June 1945.
    Please excuse my ignorance - I am still learing about American medals - but what are "the Carters" you refer to?
    Allan

Thanks

Allan,

'The Carters' are Nick and Carol Carter who are the compilers of a two volume tome dealing with awards of the Distinguished Flying Cross. I don't know whether the volumes are still available but there is a comparative pair of books dealing with the Distinguished Flying Medal. When taken with a book on the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Flying), another on Distinguished Service Order and a magnificent 'summary' of most awards to British Commonwealth air force personnel by Maton, there are plenty of resources for those interested in medals.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin,

Thank you for the advice and guidance. Have managed to acquired all the books you mention with the exception of the DFC pair, which seem jolly expensive. Will probably have to wait for the reprint!
    Again, many thanks,

Allan W.