Thread: 640 Sqn Halifax LW499, coded with a number C8-G?

Thanks

Default 640 Sqn Halifax LW499, coded with a number C8-G?

Hi all,

I just noticed in my database of a/c that this Halifax had the code letters C8-G. Is this correct? And, if so, when did squadrons start using numbers in their codes?

I see there was also a post-war variant of the Halifax called C8, is this just a coincidence or is someone conflating the details?
    David

Thanks

Hi David;

Officially, they started using numbers when all the usable AA to ZZ combinations were used up. Actually, I think it was somewhat sooner than this, since gaps were left in unit codes, to mislead the enemy, the same as blocked out blocks of serial numbers. According to my tattered old copy of Robertson's book on markings, numbers were permitted as early as 1941, but he doesn't give any examples earlier than 1943. It was fairly rare though, Robertson lists over 600 unit codes, with only a few dozen containing numbers. Most started later in the war, C8 is one of the early ones in his lists, starting in 1943.

Thanks

Excellent, Bill. Thanks. I knew you'd have the answer.

This particular a/c was lost on 12 May 1944. There is an earlier thread on it here: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ilometres-away
    David