Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncle george raf.dfm.

Thanks

Default Uncle george raf.dfm.

My uncle a navigator and his two crew mates flying a Blenheim MK1V were shot down over Amiens in France on 8/6/1940,they somehow survived
    and safely returned to their base in England five days later .What I need to know is will there be a record kept of this episode and if so
    who do I contact to find out any information re this.My sister tells me that our mother, Georges sister ! told her when she was a a child that
    they were hid in a barn by a farmer who gave them old civilian clothes and an old hand gun,and they somehow ended up on a refugee ship back to England.
    Any help appreciated.
    cheers.
    fraser 48

Thanks

Hello,

l think we are talking about 562271 Sgt George ROBSON DFM here.

8 June 1940
    No.110 Sqn
    Blenheim IV R3670:VE-
    Op: Amiens

T/o Wattisham. Shot down near the target from where all three airmen made their way to safety and arrived at Wattisham on 13 June 1940.

40658 P/O (Pilot) Philip Valentine ARDERNE RAF - Safe (later S/L DFC)
    562271 Sgt (Nav.) George ROBSON RAF - Safe (later DFM No.106 Sqn + 2/6/42 BCL3/112)
    538806 Cpl (W.Op./Air Gnr) John TIPPETT DFM RAF - Safe

BCL1 (2nd.rev.ed.)/147.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 4th July 2014 at 02:06.

Thanks

Hi,I have seen this piece on the web thanks,was wondering if there was a file/log etc on how they managed to get back safely.

Thanks

According to Clutton-Brock's volume on BC Evaders, there is no known evasion report for this airman.

Thanks

Thanks Alan,
    so do you think there is any point looking at the National Archives 110 squadron's reports/files for 1940?

Thanks

Have already checked them, and no information given as to how the crew got back. Just to add on Col's information, the 110sqdn Operation Book Appendices do however, give the individual code letter for R2670 as "S". Another 100sqdn Blenheim, R3775, VE-D, landed at Le Havre.

Thanks

Cheers Alan,that has saved me a lot of browsing then !As
    for the code ''S'' sorry but dont have a clue what they mean,are you saying another aircraft came down at Le Havre, this couldn't of been Georges aircraft though.Ah another aircraft from that group YOU MEAN...
    Last edited by fraser48; 16th July 2014 at 10:56. Reason: TO SAY I NOW UNDERSTAND.

Thanks

Hello

What Alan meant is that the Blenheim flown by your uncle on that mission was coded VE-S. These are the large letters painted on each side of the fuselage, VE on one side of the roundel, is the code on No. 110 Squadron. S was painted on the other side of the roundel, and was the individual letter of the Blenheim, and was also used for radio call sign. The letters have changed since the war (A used to be Able, and became Alpha, B was Baker and became Bravo... S was Sugar and became Sierra but the latter would need confirmation...)

R3670 was the Blenheim serial number, which never changed. This serial number was painted in small letters at the rear of the fuselage. An internet search for pictures will show you plenty of images.

I'm also interested in No. 110 Squadron for that period, and like Alan, I found of of "my" Blenheims individual letter in the Squadron appendices.

I also see from the Squadron ORB that after his return from France, in June 1940, he flew one mission with Arthur Raymond Storrow, while Robson was his regular pilot. Do you have details about this ? Storrow is "local" for me, for he came down twice in my research area, the Nord-Pas-de-Calais in northern France, the first time on 14th May 1940, and like your uncle, he made his way back to U.K.. He was killed in action in August 1940 and is buried in Pihen-les-Guines near Calais.

Joss

Thanks

Joss/Fraser (et al)
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_phonetic_alphabet. You can click on the modern NATO alphabet. However, when I first started using the phonetic alphabet on crackly phone/radio circuits (early 50's) I am fairly certain that at one stage the letter 'C' was 'coca'? That was about the changeover time and we tended to invent our own phonetic alphabets while the 'brass' sorted out which was the correct one. My initials are P W D - used to accept/confirm/receipt information passed over circuits. I used 'Polly Wolly Doodle' which is the opening line of an English children's nursery rhyme. For years after I was known as 'Polly'!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 16th July 2014 at 11:57.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi joss,
    if your saying George flew with this chap A.R.Storrow George was a navigator/observer not a pilot ! Well I went down south to see my girl singing PWD all the day...yes sang that song in the infants scjhool in early 50s...
    Last edited by fraser48; 16th July 2014 at 17:54.