Thread: No.342 Sqn Free French - Pilot Jean Hazard

Thanks

Default No.342 Sqn Free French - Pilot Jean Hazard

After serving all my adult life either in or alongside the RAF, I have very recently discovered a French ancestor (cousin, once removed) who served in the RAF on 342 Squadron during WW2.
    He escaped from Occupied France, and walked through Spain to Portugal from whence he was flown to England. He completed his RAF pilot training and flew Boston A-20 aircraft at the latter part of the war. I have a photograph showing him in French Air Force uniform with what appears to be both RAF and French 'wings': he is actually standing alongside his brother, who was in the Free French Army working on De Gaulle's staff.
    I would very much like to find out more about STANLEY JEAN HAZARD (known as 'Jean'), and his military career.
    Any help and guidance greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi and welcome aboard!
    I am afraid more info will be necessary to find him, do you know anything more about him? I tried the London Gazette but found no trace about him so I suppose he was only NCO.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello,
    Thanks for looking for me.
    I believe that the London Gazette would only list British officers on commissioning and for promotions, although things may have been very different in wartime. Jean was already in the French Air Force - from what I can find - before he escaped: in photographs, his French uniform does appear to be that of an officer.
    Best regards,
    Tam

Thanks

Hi Tam,

I am afraid that Jean, Stanley Hazard has not been posted to n342 sqn "Lorraine" before the end of WWII in Europe.

I have these info :

-Born 11/9/22, recorded in FAFL on 2/2/43 with service number 35.372.
    -10 ITW in july 1943
    -32 SFTS
    -had his "wings" on 3/11/1944 (nGB345) posted to n4 ACRC then ?

He is not with the crew of n342 sqdn who did Ops mission in 1945.

HTH

Bertrand

Thanks

Hello Bertrand,
    Many thanks for that extra information.
    The only evidence that I have is hearsay - that he trained in Canada (now confirmed by your last message), and that he flew Boston A-20 at the end of the war on mainly night missions (including operations with the Battle of the Bulge/Ardennes). Since I could only find one unit equipped with Bostons, I naturally assumed it to be No. 342.
    Coincidentally, I was awarded my RAF Wings in November - but 1973 - at RAF Linton-on-Ouse (not that far from No.4 ACRC at Filey on the Yorkshire coast).
    I will continue the search ....
    Best regards,
    Tam

Thanks

Hi Tam,

I have not his name for the battle of the bulge with the crew of n342 sqdn ! "Wings" in 11/44 then ACRC, AFU and OTU he was not with n342 - if he posted to the "Lorraine sqdn" - before end of winter or early spring 1945.

Bertrand