Thread: RAF School of Combat Survival and Rescue

Thanks

Default RAF School of Combat Survival and Rescue

Hi all,

I have difficulties with finding consecution of Survival and Rescue Training Unit and RAF School of Combat Survival and Rescue.

I found that Survival and Rescue Training Unit was disbanded 11.4.49 at Thorney Island without any successor.
    According to the references in TNA Catalogue I was able to trace RAF School of Combat Survival and Rescue back to 1960 when it was in Mount Batten. But when and where it was created?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel, Good Morning

Since reading your post a few days ago, I have tried to fill in the gap between 1949 and 1960, regarding the location of the School of Combat Survival & Rescue.

I have had no success but two suggestions. The school's Form 540 or a trawl through that for RAF Mountbatten might provide some information. Second, the school was last heard of at RAF St Mawgan in Cornwall. They do have an historian who might help. I have still to look through the RAF Historical Society journals because they did a seminar dealing with survival and rescue some years ago. I will let you know.

The school operated closely with the RAF Marine craft but that organisation was disbanded and the residual requirements were put out to contract. Mountbatten was also closed as part of the many defence cuts over the years.

As an aside, I did my sea survival training at Mountbatten in early May 1966 before being posted to Borneo the following month. The first day of practical training, using the single seat dinghy, went very well although the sea was very cold and we did not wear immersion suits for training as a part of deliberate policy to make the situation less benign. The following day, the students were split into small groups for multi-seat dinghy drills and we were all dropped into the water.

Unfortunately, a Master Pilot on the course suffered a massive heart attack in the water and their was no safety launch available. The only launch took him to shore whilst the other dinghies drifted out down Plymouth Sound - next stop America!! The SAR helicopter had been cancelled and the light was fast fading. However, after what seemed a very long time but was probably only an hour or so, a high speed launch collected us and returned us to dry land.

Unfortunately, the Master Pilot did not survive. He was a staff pilot at RAF Gaydon, which in those days was an air navigation school.

Thereafter there were many changes made to the training but it was a sad end to what I found to be an interesting course and prepared me well for possible issues when operating in south east Asia.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Colin,

thanks a lot for your effort.
    Yes I am planning to search the ORB of the previous and new unit next year when I will be in TNA if I will be not able to fill the gap earlier.
    Thanks for idea with the historian, I will make a try.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Colin,
    seems to me I possibly found the unit(s) for the gap here:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/B9E9FA36-078E-...FE53985EF9.pdf

Survival and rescue mobile instruction unit
    1950-1953 Thorney Island

Search, Rescue and Survival school
    1955-1959 Thorney Island, later Mount Batten

pg 121-122