Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help Pt 1 - details of some DFC awards

Thanks

Default Need help Pt 1 - details of some DFC awards

Hello everyone

I've been working through some local DFC and DFM recipients whose awards were reported in the Sunderland Echo during the war. I've found 80 so far, but and would like some more details for these ones, if anyone can help:

Firstly, the seven DFC awards:

COLE, James Gordon, Flt. Lt. – award reported February 23rd 1943 – need Squadron.
    He reportedly later served with the USAAF’s P. R. Unit at Chalgrove as a liaison officer, and flew PR missions with them from 1944 – where could I find information about the missions?

HALL, George (DFC and Bar) – need dates, Service Nº and Squadrons for both awards (I believe he was with both 101 and 582)

KIRKHAM, Charles, F/O – award reported Wednesday July 4th 1945 (but says DFC was awarded in March 1944) – need Service Nº and Squadron

KNOX, Victor Douglas, Flt. Lt. – award reported June 11th 1943 – need Squadron

MORTON, J W, F/O – need date of award, Christian names, Service Nº and Squadron

SHOTT, Norman, Flt. Lt. – award reported August 13th 1943 – need Squadron

WAWN, Middlemost, Captain (R.A.) – award reported February 2nd 1946 – need Squadron

I've got some DFM awards too, but I'll post them on a separated thread.

If anyone can fill in some of the gaps, I'd be most grateful.

regards

Simon

Thanks

COLE, James Gordon - No.2 Photo Reconnaissance Unit. See London Gazette, 23 February 1943, page 930.

HALL, George, F/L (151253, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve) - No.582 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 8 December 1944, page 5635.

HALL, George, F/L, DFC (151253, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve) - No.582 Squadron - Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 13 April 1945. AFRO 824/45 dated 18 May 1945 has citation under heading "RAF Trained in Canada" (attended No.19 EFTS and No.10 SFTS).

As captain of aircraft this officer has achieved a high standard of accuracy, frequently in the face of bitter opposition. Since the award of the Distinguished Flying Cross he has continued to operate with great enthusiasm and has successfully attacked a wide range of strongly defended targets. His keenness and outstanding courage have been an asset to his squadron.

KNOX, Victor Douglas, A/F/L (63842, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve) - No.1652 Conversion Unit - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 11 June 1943. Public Record Office Air 2/8955 has citation drafted when he had flown 46 sorties (324 operational hours) and was still a Flying Officer; Air Ministry Bulletin corrected the rank in its text.

Flying Officer Knox has completed an exceptionally long tour of operational duty, both in this country and the Middle East. He is a very skilful captain of aircraft who has now been posted as an instructor. Flying Officer Knox has taken part with distinction in operations over many strongly defended targets including Essen, Cologne, Berlin and places in Crete and Libya. During all these operations he has displayed the highest degree of courage and resource.

MORTON, John Wright, F/O (162963, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve) - No.98 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 13 February 1945. Awarded in conjunction with WO J.W. Williams. Public Record Office Air 2/9048 has citation drafted when he had flown 53 sorties (140 operational hours) as a pilot.

Now on their second tour of operational duty, this officer and Warrant Officer have taken part in numerous operations. Flying Officer Morton, with Warrant Officer Williams as navigator, has led the flight on numerous occasions, often in the face of intense anti-aircraft fire. In November 1944, they participated in an attack on an important road-rail bridge at Venlo and, despite heavy fire from the enemy's defences, pressed home the attack with great determination. Throughout their operational careers, this officer and Warrant Officer have displayed outstanding ability, a fine fighting spirit and great devotion to duty.

SHOTT, Norman - No.115 Squadron - see London Gazette, 13 August 1943, page 3630

WAWN, Middlemost - No.652 (Air Observation Post) Squadron
    Last edited by HughAHalliday; 9th July 2014 at 14:49. Reason: correction

Thanks

Hugh

That's just great! Thank you so much for taking the time to dig those out, it's much appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Me again - can anyone fill in the details for KIRKHAM, Charles?

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Could be 160939 Charles Alfred Kirkham, his citation is in the LG. Issue 36406 29th February

Thanks

Thanks Alan, that's him I'd think - P/O Charles Alfred Kirkham, 160939, of 76 Sqn. Born 1921 in Sunderland.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Default Charles Alfred Kirkham

Quote Originally Posted by wwrsimon View Post
    Thanks Alan, that's him I'd think - P/O Charles Alfred Kirkham, 160939, of 76 Sqn. Born 1921 in Sunderland.

Regards

Simon
    Hi Simon, I was doing a search for anything about my Dad and 76 Squadron and found this thread. I can confirm that's him, he was awarded the DFC and DFM.

Regards

Dave Kirkham

Thanks

Hi Dave

Thanks for confirming that.

I came across him mentioned on the Sunderland Echo website. He is also mentioned in Max Hastings' book 'Bomber Command'. There's an excerpt concerning his experience on 30th August 1943, when his Halifax DK195 MP-P was attacked by a night fighter, which led to his D.F.M. award.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wwrsimon View Post
    Hi Dave

Thanks for confirming that.

I came across him mentioned on the Sunderland Echo website. He is also mentioned in Max Hastings' book 'Bomber Command'. There's an excerpt concerning his experience on 30th August 1943, when his Halifax DK195 MP-P was attacked by a night fighter, which led to his D.F.M. award.

Regards

Simon
    Hi again Simon

I remember Max Hastings coming to our house and have a copy of the book. I'm hoping to take a trip down to Bradwell Bay where DK195 MP-P crash landed and at the same time see another friend of Dads who was also a pilot on 76 Squadron, George Dunn. One thing I remember Dad saying, not sure if it was in connection with the DFC or DFM " that it should have been with bar, but it never happened " really don't know how to research that? It's so nice that people are still interested, it keeps the memory of these crews alive.

Regards

Dave.

Thanks

They were attacked by two nightfighters that night, an ME110 and JU88, 10 mins after leaving the target area. The belly of the Halifax was raked by fire, wounding the Pilot and Navigator.........

One aircraft Captained by F/Sgt Kirkham, was attacked just after leaving the target, by a JU88 and an ME110. Evasive action was taken, but the Halifax was badly holed and the Pilot and Navigator wounded. Despite this, the Captain managed to shake the fighters off and returned safely to this country. Both the Captain and Navigator were detained in hospital.